Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamzilla, May 23, 2012.

1. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012
    $1000 bucks, maybe $1200. Power, portable, Tone, not buying used.

thoughts?

Markbass CMD 102P?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Significantly more info needed

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K MB210, MB212, GenzBenz, Ampeg PF series.

4. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Good luck with that.

5. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012

Thanks for nothing. lol

6. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012
    Decent options, thanks... I'm just putting out the feeler for what others are using

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'm using a Markbass Little Mark III head with one or two Markbass Traveler 151P cabs (1x15 each). The head is $600 and so is each cab. I do most gigs with just one cab.

8. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012
    I was checking those out as well. I'm looking for a basic setup, gig worthy, reliable. I've read good things about the lil mark.

9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Why not buying used?

Birthday/graduation present?

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you select cabinets with a combined impedance of 4 Ohms or more, you'll have a lot more selection when it comes to amplifiers. Bass heads that can handle two 4-Ohm cabinets are few.

Are you carrying the house with your stage rig, or does your band put bass through the PA?

What can you tell us about the kind of music you play, and your ideal bass sound? Do you like it clean, or are you looking for tube distortion?

How important are weight and size to you?

A Carvin B1500 or B2000 are terrific bargains. The Ampeg 7Pro and Genz Benz Streamliners are getting rave reviews.

Selecting cabs and heads that sound good together is important, and it isn't as easy as some might lead you to believe; some don't play well together. Test drive before buying whenever possible.

11. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012
    Hey thanks for the input. I'm paranoid about used amps, although I've had many good experiences buying them.

My main gig is a southern rock group, moderate volume, many different stages, typically supported by professional sound, DI box, amp used for stage volume.

I also do the gun for hire gigs and play with an assorted group of bands locally.

About 10 minutes ago, I bought the GK MB210 through MF and will give it a run for 45 days and see if it will do the trick. I can expand that rig up to 500 watts with an additional cab, bring my total investment to $1000.

I'll check back in with my findings.. If it doesn't work, I'll run something else. I've used the MB115 with success, but it is not quite enough with the heavy handed drummers. I like the GK tone and these amps are a breeze to load and unload.

12. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I had a GK MB115 and while it was a great combo it lacked for me in a live setting with a band and a heavy drummer,,, the MB210 was way way better for competing with loud stage volume and a hard hitting drummer,,, I added a MBE115 to my MB210 and that put everything over the top,, although most would say to match the MBE210 with the MB210 and thats good advice as well.

I have owned alot of Markbass stuff but in the end switched to GK,,, my current GK family is MB210, MBE115, MB112, Neo 410, Neo 115 lll,,,,amps/heads MB200 and MB500.

Anyhow,, you should be more than happy with the MB210,, its a killer combo,, add an ext cab and Wow !!!!!

Cheers
    Davyo

13. jamzilla

jamzilla

Mar 28, 2012
    That is exactly the input I'm looking for, thanks Davyo

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021