1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp and cab or a combo in range of 1000$

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bullseye50, Apr 12, 2010.

1. bullseye50

bullseye50

Apr 12, 2010
    Slovakia
    Hello, I´ve been wandering through this site and some others to find a suitable amp for my needs. Im mostly a rock/funk with some softer stuff playing guy and Ive been looking at SWR stuff mostly. I want it for rehearsals and some small gigs or possibly for micing.I really like the SWR Workingpro 2x10c, but just from the specs and looks, havent heard the amp live and my place doesnt offer places for tryouts. From what Ive seen, there are various views of SWR equipment. My experiences are from playing SWR Basic 350 amp and a Goliath II cab only with a drummer and i loved the sound (played at lower volumes) I also looked at some hartke stuff but none took my futher notice. Im a relative newbie to amps, but i dont want anything that would change the tone of my bass like Ampeg stuff.
    Thank you very much

2. SGS

SGS

Mar 21, 2010
    Very funny that this thread is here. I was just going to post a thread saying "You have $1k in cash to spend on a rig. keep in mind possibly expanding later...GO!"

IN for answer.

3. you could try GK. The new MB combos+extension cab or if you go used a 700rbII and 4x10 can fit under 1000$

i dont know SWR so i cannot help you there

4. bullseye50

bullseye50

Apr 12, 2010
    Slovakia
    I hope we´ll get some help

5. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Mesa/Boogie walkabout scout 12" or 15" combo

/end thread

6. bullseye50

bullseye50

Apr 12, 2010
    Slovakia
    Too much an one - sided post for me, but the reviews are great, sure a great amp, but a little over the edge when it comes to price if bought new and i dont think that I can find an used one around slovakia

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    For $1000. you can put a nice rig together, especially if you buy used. Seems like either SWR or GK would be a good choice tonally, from what you've said, so an 800RB or 1001RB, or whater equivilent SWR head, (300-600 watts). Then, cabs, and for those, think about a 4x10 SWR or GK cab, with the ability to "add-on" another cab later on. Should be able to get it all with change to spare. Maybe even brand new, depending on the deal. But definately, avoid combo amps, and try before you buy.

8. Brass Brawls

Brass Brawls

May 6, 2009
    +1 on a used gk800rb, just grabbed one of CL for 200$.

9. Bassist01545

Bassist01545

Jun 30, 2006
    I'd go for a LM combo--sold my Boogie stack, purchased a Markbass combo and ndver looked back-