Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMP BH420 Hey look what I found!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frankie Fender, May 11, 2005.

1. I just picked up an AMP BH420 online sight unseen and am very happy with it. Thunderous low end! I rehearsed with it a few times and will be gigging with it this Friday night.

I have owned SWR heads in the past (Bass 350 & Bass 750) but they were nowhere near as warm sounding as this amp. It does have a brittle top as some have described, but the bottom and mids all sound punchy and as low as you ever want to go. I swear it has more of a tube sound than any SS head I have heard including all the quasi-SS's that had tube preamps.

I run it basically flat but it does have a wide range of settings and sound. Thanks to the TB'ers for bringing this head to my attention, your opinions were right on!

This amp truley is a sleeper and I shudder to think that the Thunderfunk improves upon it. Someday I will have to check one of those into the stable too. Needless to say I am very happy with it and it cuts through great with the Berg. It is approaching perfection. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Lucky b@st@rd! I recently saw one in a local store but it was in pretty bad condition and definitely not priced accordingly. I've got a Thunderfunk on my GAS list!

OBTW: nice gear all around... I love the Fenders and the Berg!

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Hey Frankie -

You giving up on using your 70's SVT?

...or is this just an alternative for less hauling?

At any rate nice basses, cab & head!

You've got great taste!

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Damn that's a nice cab... and amp! But those Berg's are just sexy.

Congrats on the rig!

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i hate you, that's the same p-bass as i have and i really want that cab. congrats dude.

6. Thanks Dude. Depending how the gig goes, I think i have found the lightweight alternative. That SVT kicked my @ss at my last gig.
    I loaded in all our PA by myself plus my rig up a flight of stairs, then played four sets. At the end of the night I had help carrying it all down, but I was bushed. That's what got me thinking of a lower weight head. If I *really* like what I hear Friday, the SVT may have its days numbered.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Frankie - You have PM.

8. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Boy, does *that* sound familiar! Assume (as in my band) you're about the only guy who can also hook up/run the PA? Oh well, beats the alternative (renting PA and having some goofball who doesn't know sound.)

Hope your lead singer also plays guitar (so he at least has to haul his little 40 lb combo!) Nothing worse than a singer who owns no gear and hauls no gear while the rest of us make it happen. (Been there...)

I've not tried my TF with the NV610 yet - I'm still grinning about the sound with my '72 SVT :D . Looks like that will be next up.

9. I'm sure glad there is someone out there who understands.
    BTW my SVT also peels paint teamed up with the Berg but I'll probably only bring it out after I heal up. :bawl:

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Those are a rare find, Congrats FF!

I used to have the AMP SL-1, which is the pre-amp side of that famous head-amp. Lot's of possiblities with it, almost gooey tubey possiblities too... especially from a SS pre. The eq controls are laid out real well and has an amazing feature, a tone knob... great simple tone tweek.

[​IMG]
    ...here's my old one.

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Congrats! I love mine, although its a Gibson GB440. It´s really strange that these amps wheren´t a bigger hit back then. The market might not have been ready for them. BTW mine came with a rack kit that looks stock. I have it in a rack right now.
    Here´s a pic of one like mine:

Attached Files:

12. Thanks for all the compliments. I did a google search for an AMP BH420 and found a store that had it listed on a used items sheet, made a call and that was it. The AMP came with removeable rack ears that run the entire depth of the case, they look stock and leave room for the handle. I paid $325 shipping included. I thought it was a good price, it is in very nice shape. It is more than 2 rack spaces so I have it in a 3 rack-space case with a 1 spacer overlapping to fill the gap.

Good eye on the P-bass It is not a Fender, but it is a Fender design. Solid alder body with a jazz neck/ebony fingerboard, and all aftermarket parts with SD basslines QP's- incredible sustain and punch!

The Jazz is actually a Fender 75 RI (Japanese made) solid American Swamp Ash body with a Warmoth neck/Brazilian Rosewood 1/4" slab fingerboard, with Lane Poor jazz pu's, once again great sustain and incredible low end!

I will definitely be looking for a Thunderfunk in the future although I may hold out to see if Mr. Funk comes out with any different models, then again, who knows? I can be very impulsive.

13. Dude'ster
    I'm guessing you like the NV610.... go ahead ... make me feel like I should have kept it ....
    If I go back to a sealed Bergie, it will be the 425 or 215 most likely, I just love the way they are designed. Great to move for a larger cab and they look soooooo cool. Anyway I hope you're are enjoying the BergieLove.

14. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    As Frankie will tell us, NV cabs rule! (esp. with a 70's SVT)

I'd also like to snag a 425 and a 215 (if I could find 'em used and in as good of shape as the NV610...)

15. True, True. Some differences I have noticed is that The AMP does have a DI out (post EQ only) and the Enhance switch is either on or off and footswitchable (it is not variable, like the TF Enhance)

As an added bonus the AMP is also biampable with separate high and low outs (to another amp presumably) with a variable crossover point. Not that I would ever Biamp, I like it running full range. and it also has the Tone control which is very useable, I believe that it either boosts the highs and cuts the lows at the same time or boosts the lows and cuts the highs - pretty cool. I believe it is the predecessor of the TF Timbre control. When I thin it out to about 3 o'clock position my jazz almost resembles a Rick 4001 (at least I like to think it does)

Can't wait to jam with it tonight. We will be playing in a club with about 100 people. WHOOP!

I will check back to let you all know how it goes.

FF

16. I think I screwed up the DI, it is pre-EQ, I was at work and going from memory. Anyway, here is a shot of the back and follow the links for many more pics.

FF

[​IMG]

full front front left front center front right side handle full rear rear left rear right

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What's the function of the added jack on the front panel? Is that a tuner out? Looks like an aftermarket mod.

Great amp, BTW!

18. I thought it was a mod too, but it is the footswitch jack to activate the Enhance function. Brad Johnson shows one in a picture of his collection too. It is the one on the bottom. Brad's Collection I don't know if it was on the earlier ones or the later ones or just an option. Anyone?

19. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I also have the preamp version, I traded a cab for it last month. It sounds *great* but has an odd quirk, sometimes I have to turn it on twice . . . It always powers up on the second time so it's no biggie. I'm not sure I'll keep it, only because I'm very happy w/ my current rig.

20. So Frankie, what did you think of what you heard last night? :bassist: :)