1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Amp buzzing made worse when I use my tone knob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RatticusFinch, Jul 16, 2019.

1. RatticusFinch

RatticusFinch

Apr 22, 2014
    Have any of you dealt with speaker buzz that gets worse when turning your tone knob? I have an Ampeg 410 that I bought in 2006 and have used fairly lightly over the years. It's developed a pretty loud buzzing sound that's made a LOT worse when I turn the tone knob to more trebly/bright. I've tried it with a few different basses, and the bass cables as well as the speaker cable between the head and cab are new, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the speaker.

I took a video so you can see/hear what I'm talking about, you can see it below. Any thoughts on what the issue is or how I can address it? Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Different amps?

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Grill rattle ?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Does not seem like a speaker issue.

I would say it's a bass issue, but you said other basses do the same thing?

That leaves the amp. The crackling knob is definitely the amp.

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    That's just the nature of the J bass, man. You could get hum canceling pickups or check the grounding, but that is not the amp or cab.

Edit: just heard the crackling of the amp's knob. It could be the amp. My money is on the bass though.

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    +1. I think the mid knob could use a TINY bit of de-oxit, but it's unrelated to the buzz. You might want to poke around in the pick up & electronics section.

7. RatticusFinch

RatticusFinch

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks everyone for your input!

I was inclined to blame my bass as well since it's almost 20 years old and has had a couple connectivity issues itself (which have been fixed). But I have heard this sound come through on a Fender P as well as an old Ibanez bass - the owner of the Fender P was actually trying out the amp to buy it off me and declined because of the sound. Maybe it's a combination of things?

Any thoughts on what the fix could be for this? Thanks again.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    If it happens with multiple basses, it's your amplifier (not bass or speaker). Is the amp properly grounded? Does the buzz happen when on different outlets? Have you tried it outside your home in a different location? Buzzing from an amp can happen due to electrical issues (or by having dimmers or certain types of lights on the same circuit) or it may need servicing.

9. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What were the other basses you tried it with ? If they were single coil pickups it does not matter who made them they have some hum to them . And even more when you are facing the amp.

10. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's not the speaker, a speaker only reproduces the signal sent to it. I'd say it's the bass, since it changes with the position of the tone knob, but if it happens with different basses then it's most likely your house. Something may be radiating EMI and/or RFI.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021