1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp cab comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewy Lj, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    I just got my GK 700 RB2 to replace my Trace Ah7300. Playing a Lakland 5501 with OBP-3. Initially kept the Trace hooked up to my Peavey Tour 2x10 1x15 Bugera. This set up had tons of tone and I think a great mix between the cabs. Set the GK up next and just didn't seem as clear as the trace. Took the 2x10 out and placed my 4x10 trace (pre gib) on top of the 15. It's definitely loud and great spl, but I really think the 2x10, 1x15 with the the trace had the best tone and utilization of the cabs and plenty of volume. I know these are not ideal cabs and THIS IS NOT A POST on mixing cabs. I've read all those already. The Bugera cab does sound nice and plenty of volume. The peavey sounds great as well. I would think the GK would have stolen the show, but I think the trace will get the nod. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Btw, 2x10 vertical makes a world of difference.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. To make a reasonable comparison, you will need to EQ each amp fo the tone you are looking for - not the same settings. If you already did that, then just keep the one you like best. It's not about which amp is best (Trace vs GK), it's about which one YOU like the best.

B-string likes this.
  3. I could not find a Trace Elliot AH7300 on a search, do you have a pic?

What were your settings on the 700RB II?

4. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks guys. Trace AH300-7. Settings were volume 2 oclock. Treble 3. Mids high 1. Mid low 12. Lows 2. Boost 1. Master 3. Did not engage the pad nor the 5 string.

Thanks for the help and comments.

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    GK boost knob plays a lot in the sound mix......and contour

However Trace will have major kick and clarity, control.......

Experiment with more GK settings

Coming from Trace Elliot to Gk....I was never that happy with GK....mho

6. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks Murphy. I played around with the settings quite a bit. I even thought about just slaving the gk and using the pre from the trace. I'll post that in a separate thread to see if it's doable between the 2.

7. Slaving should work fine. If you want "clean" you need to back down the "Boost" as that adds harmonic content. Just use the "Volume" control for loudness with the master up even to full (since you only want clean) and no more than 10:00 to 11:00 if any on the Boost.

8. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    Thank you. I want a little harmonic content with a clear upper range. I think I was getting that with the trace. Now if I can remember how to hook them up and what amp does what. Lol. I'm know it's on TB somewhere. Thanks for your help. I appreciate. It.

9. Preamp out or effects send from the TE to the effects return jack on the G-K with an instrument cable. The TE tends to be scooped mids which you will find with the contour control on the G-K. It is a very pleasing solo sound that gets bass players lost in the mix live.

10. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah. I had contour off on the gk. It sounds good, but just not finding my flavor. I'm not giving up on it, I may need more time with it. Hard to do at the rehearsal space. I'll know more Sunday. Thanks again for the tip on slaving the GK. Will all eq and master be adjusted at the trace? Where should the settings on the gk be, or does it matter?

11. If you slave the G-K from the Trace only the (Woofer) Master and boost will be active on the G-K, everything else is bypassed with the effects return jack (same as a power amp input).

12. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    Awesome. The 7 band eq and pre stage will come from the trace?

13. Yes and the G-K preamp and tone controls bypassed.

14. Stewy Lj

Stewy Lj

Jan 10, 2015
    Perfect. I believe speakers connected to the gk or slaved amp?

15. Yes