amp-cabnet question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vincentjmur, Apr 7, 2004.

1. i have the oppertunity to get a deal on an ampeg 8X10 cabnet, but dont currently own a head. i dont know what i need or what specs need to be satisfied.
    i need to know what to look for in a head.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The amp would need to be able to operate into a 4 ohm load since that is what Ampeg 8x10s are rated.

Beyond that, it's a pretty efficient cabinet so just about anything would work.

I'd recommed that you try out as many amps as you can (particularly with your bass and cabinet) to hear what the possibilities are.

Power wise, I'd guess that 300 watts would be enough to threaten your hearing.

Visually, only you can decide whether the head has to match the cabinet. If it does, the Ampeg SVT-350H would be a good choice as it's an excellent sounding amp (and really needs an efficient speaker cabinet to go with it).

Other brands to try would be Hartke (I have no experience with them, but they seem popular), G-K (I really like the EQ section in the 700RB, 1001RB), Peavey, etc.

What's your budget?
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    SVT and a Ampeg 810 is the standard rig of a alot of people. Are you one of them? I couldn't be one of those folks because I lack means of transportation for refrigerator-sized cabs. I like my SVT410HLF just fine though.

Is a SVT in your budget? If not, but you want tubes try the VB4.

Basically you should take the cab and your bass/basses to a music store, then try everything that interests you and decide from there.

TB is good place to help you make decisions but in the end you should be the one who decides what setup is for you.