1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp crossovers question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabee, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Can running a cab without a crossover fuse cause damage to any amp or the drivers themselves?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What is a crossover fuse?

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    If the head or the cab has a fuse, and you defeat it (take it out of the circuit) and run it , it will be in danger. the fuse is there for your safety, go buy a hand full and it will be $3.50 well spent

4. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I think they are calling that light bulb that is flashing inside our cabinets a fuse, eh? :meh: BOB

5. I think your right, leave it out and the horn won't honk, eh? That's about it :)

6. Hmm its in the crossover inside the cab and looks like a mini light bulb{thought it was a fuse}.

7. Well it actually is a small lightbulb, so called "soffitte", which is put in parallel to your crossover circuitry. Its use is to act like a ptc-resistor to prevent your cab from damage from too much load.
    Jens

8. Thanks Jens

9. OutsideUrbia

OutsideUrbia

May 15, 2009

uhh I am a little bummed to hear this. My cab which has these (lamps/fuses) whatever in them took a dump on me. I have blown fuses in my 115rb.

question: Will a perfectly fine cabinet work without it's lamps?

if yes i will my cabinet blew out as a result of me not keeping up with the condition of these lamps?