Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp emergency! will this work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zycro, Sep 1, 2004.

1. zycro

zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    I am in the process of buying a new bass amp. My behringer1200 crapped out on me last week during band practice. so now i have practice again tonite and i have no amp!

i have a 15 watt guitar amp. if i plugged my bass into that and kept the vol on the amp low and miked it to the pa which i can crank will that work?

i dont want to ruin the amp but if its at a low vol it shouldnt hurt the speaker too much right?

what about feedback issues with the mic in front of the guitar amp? i'll bring me earplugs! :rollno:

will i get a bassy sound at all? i know it will sound not so great but as long as its tolerable it will do temporarily. we play at a rehearsal studio and they have a pa and mics you can use for free but to rent an amp cost $10 an hour. I dont think they even have bass amps to rent.

i am broke otherwise i'd just lay out the 10$ for the two hours we play.

any suggestions or thoughts?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well you did leave out what kind/size speaker you have in the guitar amp - also if your guitar amp has a speaker out jack (prolly not) and you have a bass cabinet you could plug into that before miking it
    anyhow the sound wont be "bassy", in fact, you should probably roll the low end off a bit to save the speaker
    if you go the miking the amp route i would try to put it in another room or cover the amp with as much foam, cardboard, towells, etc so when you turn up the mic on that amp you wont get feedback - just listen to how you sound so you can tell if your amp's speaker is distorting :eek:

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Depending on what kind of bass you have, just plugging straight into the board may be a better option. If you have a DI available, so much the better.

edit: Be sure you watch for speaker distortion in the PA if you do this, especially in the horns. You could get a lot poorer quickly otherwise. :eyebrow:

4. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    if you have an amp modeler(line 6, zoom, digitech...etc) just run direct into the board or if u have an active bass...just so u can have good control over your sound...micing the guitar amp sounds too complicated...running direct is much easier

5. zycro

zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    the speaker of the guitar amp is a 8"

so doing this could potentially hurt the PA? Dont want to do that... big money.

if ANYBODY has ANY other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I have 5 hours b4 practice time.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    shoot me please for not thinking of that......and i do sound............... :rollno:

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If it sounds OK in the PA, you'll be fine. If it sounds bad, back off. And/or ask everyone to turn down a little more than usual, it's just a rehearsal anyway, right?

I've played through home stereo speaks in a pinch, now that's living dangerously. How real is the PA?

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    A Behringer crapped out?! :)

The studio should have a DI box. If not, just plug straight into the board.