Amp fails on loud notes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg Spencer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. I have a little GK MB200 amp, purchased in 1984. It's always been loud for its size, but lately, when it's cranked to 10 and I strike hard on a low note, the sound just collapses into a wash of barely audible fuzz. Am I having electronic troubles? Do I need to replace the speaker?
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It sounds like you have run out of headroom and probably need a bigger amp... If you're speaker still works, it won't for long under these conditions. :bawl: Do a search for clipping. ;)
  3. Sometimes the simplest things are also the easiest to overlook. Is your bass active and have you checked the battery lately? Cables? Tried your bass into another amp? The standard checklist is a good place to start (if you haven't sone that already).
  4. hi,

The problem is somewhere in my amp, I guess. I bought a new cable and last weekend I played my bass through another guy's amp, and it sounded fine.

It's a tube amp, if that helps. I read a posting where they recommended replacing capacitors and/or tubes when your amp develops ''farting'' problems, which may be akin to the problem I have.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

GK made tube amps? Whaddayaknow.... :confused: