1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp for a studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pjh2112, Mar 31, 2009.

1. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    So I need some advice on a studio setup. With a budget of around $5000 what kind of setup would probably be the best for a studio usage. I'm thinking of an amp, a DI like a pod or avalon, and any effects or effects units. This is just for speculation right now, I am not planning on going out and buying anything right now so just shoot me whatever you got. Money isn't a big deal since it's just theoretical. The reason I would like to know is because someday I would like to eventually open a studio, and I don't have a lot of personal experience recording bass in the studio. Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get a vintage B-15 or B-12, a REDDI DI, an Avalon U5 DI, and a Countryman Type 85 DI. There are others, but I think those would be the best representations of the different types of sounds in use these days.

3. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    the Avalon is good but if you've really got the dough at some point, a Millenia Media Origin preamp is the way to go. It's an amazing pre/eq/comp for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you plug into it. then for amp.... well, really depends on what you wanna go for? a good friend of mine uses an old MusicMan head (guitar head from the '70s) into an 8x10" and that smokes for him. but really, if you get a good 10", 12" or 15" combo, something that'll get some air going over a mic then you're set.

the SVT/8x10" thing definitely captures the Rawwwwk tone but then again, you can achieve that with smaller solid state amps as well.

pretty subjective.

but the Mil-Media Origin would be a good investment regardless :bassist:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Weeeelllll....you can achieve it with smaller tube amps, and there's a couple pieces of solid state gear that do a hell of an approximation. But if I have a nice studio and someone wants an SVT sound, I'm going to bring in an SVT.

5. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    no doubt Jimmy, but the sound of a 300watt power section almost blowing through 8 10's does sound different from a 30watt (or whatever) power section almost blowing through a 15" /etc.

that's why i also added the bit about smaller combos being good to use as well.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Perhaps an SVT-rated isolation booth? :D

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    "We already got one you silly English K-nigets!":
    Built in 1838 28' X 14' 10" mostly underground 16.5" thick Suffolk red
    brick lining 720 Cu Ft of static bass traps + 95 Cubic feet of moveable bass trap/baffles:
    [​IMG]
    Little labs phase tool is great for a DI/re-amp box Neumann U87 P 48
    Mic and an RCA OP-6 Mic pre amp is my favorite all time tube pre.
    Neve 33609JD compressor or a Smart C2 is a great bass comp.:ninja:

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Mmm... I'd rather go with the box a VT Bass is shipped in. :bag: :D

9. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Hey Jimmy, were you suggesting I get the all of the items you listed or get one of them?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, you've got $5000 to blow...why not get all of them? ;)

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    in our 24 track analog studio (3M M79's and an Amek M1-neve designed board) we use a good direct box with Urie 1176 compressor. it cops the vintage SVT sound going direct. i have found that mic'ing many of the large bass amps like an SVT don't really translate to sounding like an SVT (except for the authentic "fan noise") and to me, a mic'd b15N actually sounds bigger than an SVT. in the studio, you really don't need the SPL as all it does is overload the mic and it loses the dynamics. IMO, the same goes for mic'ing marshall stacks for guitars (i.e. a 20 watt marshall sounds bigger than a 100watt).

another qucik and inexpensive way that we use for bass is either a sansamp PS1 or an aphex 1402 bass xciter pedal using it as a direct box. i have gotten excellent results with both.

12. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    again...

start here:

[​IMG]

:smug:

and then let your ears dictate the combo of choice.

these are good for the studio:

but so are lottttts of other amps as well.

:bassist:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Can't argue against the Millenia. Or the SWR for that matter. The more you have, the better you can serve the customer. But there comes a point where it gets silly. You don't need to own every single thing. Pick a few good high quality pieces that give customers great sound and you're golden.

14. Hawk_GP

Hawk_GP

Oct 5, 2005
    Jimmy's got the right idea...:cool:

15. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    :eyebrow:

I bleeb I've finally suggested 2 pieces. 1 pre and 1 amp as opposed to your 1 amp and 3 DIs right?

:smug:

16. Better listen to Jimmy-he's my fliptop guy.

:D

17. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would love to be in that situation.
    So since it's not my money I'm gonna go nuts:

• Vintage Ampeg B15
    • Aguilar DB359 or DB680 + DB728
    • Aguilar DB412
    • Ampeg SVT810
    • SWR Redhead
    • GK800RB
    • A-Designs Pacifica
    • A-Designs REDDI
    • Avalon U5
    • Radial JDI

oh yeah, and earplugs too

18. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    OK, he is your fliptop guy......but ask Jimmy....he sho as he
    ll "isnt your bass player".......hehehe.....Inside Joke.
    Had to slip that in there Jimmy.

V

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Of course you did ;)

Pet, is 3 DI's and 1 amp excessive? OK, maybe you could use the Countryman to speaker DI the B-15 and have a DI that sounds like the REDDI, but it's not all that farfetched, is it? Now getting a U5 and a Millenia might be considered a bit of duplication as they have similar qualities IMHO.

20. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004

nope, 3 DIs and an amp isn't excessive, it's just that I posted 2 pieces of gear and you came back with:

"The more you have, the better you can serve the customer. But there comes a point where it gets silly. You don't need to own every single thing."

as for the U5 and Mil-Media being similar... hmmm, not so much. the U5 is a Class A solid state DI with some built in eq curves. the Mil-Media is a "Twin Topology" (Class Tube OR Solid State) recording strip (pre-amp/eq/compressor) so they are different enough to warrant having both at some point in time :smug:

the only reason I say a good recording strip and a decent combo is that whenever I go in to track I'm rarely afforded the luxury of more than a single track for bass and it's usually going through some API/Mil-Media or the sort.