1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP FOR BAND PRACTICE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderbirdBill, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ThunderbirdBill

ThunderbirdBill

Jun 28, 2012
    Hello fellow bassists,

So i've just started a band with my friends and we've had 1 band practice, My crappy 20w amp was no where near loud enough to compete with the drums so i need to purchase a new Amp, just for band practice.

Could you give me some pointers as to what manufacturers to look towards and amps that will be good, my price is about £200, but i will go up to £250 if necassary.

Is the Ashdown Five-Fifteen MiniRig Bass Combo worth getting?

Thanks.

2. Shop used. A 410 with a 300+ watt head is the ticket.

3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

+10000

4. ThunderbirdBill

ThunderbirdBill

Jun 28, 2012
    My band plays indie rock, I'm not set on ashdown, just anything thats going to be loud and gives a half decent sound for practice!

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you going to be gigging soon enough? It might be a good idea to get a rig capable of being gigged, otherwise you'll just be upgrading again in short order. Totally understandable if that's over budget right now, just some food for thought.

I concur with the 410 + 300w head to get started.

6. +1 to a little foresight.

For me a combo is never going to be the soloution. Even if its loud enough for your purposes now, it sets confines to your rig. Want to use a different head? Issues. Want to try a different cab? Issues. Want to add an extension cab for more volume? Issues.

This isnt about any combo specifically but just some things that can come up in general. A used head and an 8 Ohm 410 will really open up your expand-ability if you should ever need it.

7. Used GK SBX410 - $250
    Used GK 400rbII - $250 or 700rbII - $350

Problem solved!

8. its not easy to be a bassist with a tiny budget these days....

9. +1