1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp for Barefaced Super Twin: Magellan, D800+, or..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringsjack, Sep 16, 2017.

1. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Hi all.

I'm looking for an amp that pairs well with a Barefaced Super Twin. I currently have a Genz Benz Streamliner 900, but I'm looking for something with a bit more flexibility in the EQ department. I love the sound of the Streamliner but I'm finding it tricky to get the right balance of lows and mids with the Super Twin.

When I play through my Purity tube pre and Crown XLS power amp I get THE sound I want out of this cab. It is absolutely the sound in my head. But for gigs I prefer to take a micro head with me rather than the rack rig.

So, short version- looking for a good micro amp to pair with the BF Super Twin. The Magellan and Mesa D800+ look like good candidates. Anyone use these amps with this cab? Other good options?

Thanks!

2. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I too have a rack setup + Super Twin and am looking for a smaller amp for certain rehearsals and gigs.

How would you describe how the Streamliner sounds with the Super Twin?

3. 4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Well, it sounds pretty darn good. When I play through the Streamliner, the Super Twin has a solid low end and sweet, clear highs. The mids are smooth.

The thing is that when I play through the Purity and the Crown I get a certain slam with the attack on each note (even at low volume). I have a difficult time getting that from the Streamliner. I also feel like something is missing in the upper mids.

svtb15 and Pbassmanca like this.
  4. RasGK

RasGK

Mar 28, 2011
    Mexico city
    IMG_2661.JPG I use my Super Twin with a Tecamp Puma 900, and I'm very happy with this combination. It gives me a very clean and accurate sound, and I can add thundering lows, punchy low mids, growly hi-mids, or crispy highs to taste with each of it's knobs, but everything within a useful range of sounds, never sounding harsh nor honky.
    The lows always remain quick and defined, so it never gets boomy.
    The taste knob also is wonderful for my needs, since one of my bands is an oldies band in which I need to switch from a Steve Harris type of sound, to slap, to a motown sound for example, all within seconds, and also cover country, hard rock, metal, reggae, disco and r&b type of sounds, so I can do this with just that knob and a little change in my technique or my bass eq...
    It's a very powerful and loud combination, and it's a breeze to carry after playing, with this tiny and feather-weight head to match the super light cab, so it's a winner combination in my opinion. Either this head or an Eich T-900 would be my suggestion.

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I have a modular ST, 2 SC cabs. I use an Aguilar TH500 and a Thunderfunk 750.

IMO the beauty of these cabs is they will sound great with most good amps, from tubes to SS and D class.

I did try the D800 for awhile but IMO the TH500 is my preference so far.

6. 4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Well, I'm going to try out the Mesa D800. Hopefully it's a good fit!

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    It will be. My D800 sounded great.

Preferences will be different between players.

4stringsjack likes this.
  8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I'd go D800+ IME. The added features are worth the price. My 0.02c for what it's worth.

4stringsjack likes this.
  9. 4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    I found the D800 used here on TB at a fair price. It looks like a great amp; can't wait to hear it. I'd really like to get my hands on the D800, D800+, a Genzler Magellan, and a Quilter so I could compare all of them, but it's not financially feasible. Donations gladly accepted. ;)

I *really* need to sell off some basses. I just need to find the time to actually do something about it.

10. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Sorry not a micro head but using mine with an Ashdown ABM500 and get i regular positive comments on the tone...i do like a grindy rock tone though, but the ST will put out whatever you put in very clearly

11. 4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    The Mesa D800 arrived today and I was able to spend about an hour fiddling (bassing?) with it. I am very impressed! This one is a keeper. It sounds really powerful mated up with the Barefaced Super Twin.

I wanted a a small, lightweight amp that could get close to the sound of my rack mounted rig (tube preamp with Crown XLS1500 power amp). My Genz Benz Streamliner 900 is a wonderful amp in its own right, but I couldn't quite dial in the sound of the rack rig. My hope was that I would find another head that can get close to the rack rig's tone while also being capable of approaching the STM-900's tone.

I'm happy to report that the Mesa D800 does a mighty fine job of it. I can dial in a tone that is very close to the rack rig- close enough that, when playing live, I won't hear the difference. Ditto for the Mesa vs. Streamliner. It bridges the gap between the two rigs very nicely!

I've never been a fan of "contour", "enhance" or other similar pre-shape controls on other amps that I've owned, but, man, the "voicing" control on the D800 is done RIGHT! As others have said, it's really easy to dial in a good tone with this head. @agedhorse - Nicely done!

12. So please tell us the particular settings you're using on your D800 that get you close to your rack rig sound. I'd like to experiment with them on my D800 and Big Twin II.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Glad to hear that you found something that works well for you.

murphy and 4stringsjack like this.
  14. 4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Sure thing:
    Deep switch - off
    Input - just below clipping threshold (yellow light flashes occasionally)
    Voicing - 9 o'clock
    Bass - noon
    Low mids - just a hair below noon
    High mids - 1 o'clock
    Treble - 1 o'clock

The bass in this case is a passive 1983 G&l SB-2 (first gen with two fat single coil pickups). I'll try some other basses when I have some free time.

I might refine these settings as I spend more time with the amp, but these settings get me pretty close to my tube pre/power amp combo.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    svtb15 and P_Robyn like this.
  15. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Curious...still using this rig or have you moved on?

murphy likes this.
  16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Well....just throwing in my fanboy cents.....I still LOVE my Mesa D-800

agedhorse and P_Robyn like this.