1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMP Going Into DI Or Straight Into DI

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JohnOhofner, Sep 28, 2018.

1. JohnOhofner

JohnOhofner

Apr 12, 2018
    So Question I'm getting ready to record a folk pop/Singer Songwriter album and was wondering if i should go through my amp head to the DI or plug my guitar cable straight into the interface.What would be a more professional way of recording bass in this genre?

2. JohnOhofner

JohnOhofner

Apr 12, 2018
    i noticed i posted in the wrong forum

3. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I always DI direct from the bass. Sometimes I also DI after effects/pre, and sometimes I also mic a cab. DI gives you the most options. You can always use an amp sim or reamp a DI, but you can never get the original bass signal back once you put other things in the chain.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Not sure what this means...
    If it means trying to take the speaker-level signal from (or on the way to) the cab, be VERY careful with that stuff...
    If it means taking the 'line out' signal to take advantage of the amp's preamp voicing, you're probably OK.
    Not sure there is only one 'most professional' since lots of professionals do it different ways.
    How many channels and how much time do you have ? studio time == $$$.
    If I've got the channels and the time, I like to do one completely dry DI - before any effects - plus whatever passes for your effected signal at the amp input (another DI).
    If you have an effective monitoring solution, there will be no audio bleed in the room and you can record whatever tracks you want at the same time...
    If you are using an amp, and you really have the time and an appropriate microphone, mike the cab. Be aware that if you let it, it can take all day to get the 'best' mike positioning, especially if you have a full-range cab with a horn or tweeter... If you're at this point, watch your phasing...

I tend to not like recording instrument->interface because it can be challenging to chase impedance and level issues, and unless you're right there, the high-impedance instrument-level cable won't be as interference-immune as a DI in the middle of the room away from other electrical stuff. Have I ever recorded plugged in directly? Sure...

Not sure where you posted originally but it wound up in Recording Gear and Equipment which IMO is a fine forum for this question...