1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp head rattling??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nowhereboy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    I've got an ashdown mag 300 head, is it normal for it to rattle?

Its actually pretty frustrating, at first I thought it was something else in my room but Ive realized its the head, when I lift it off the cab it stops.

Is this normal or something to worry about? It almost sounds like a screw is loose somewhere or something... :rollno:

2. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Any amp can rattle. Yes, it is often just a loose screw or several.

3. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    I have the same issue with my Ashdown LB-550 head. I have taken to not putting it on top of the cab. My theory is that if 'something' is rattling then leaving it on the cab is likely to make it rattle loose even more.

It is frustrating though.

4. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    Yup its pretty frustrating, the amp is brand new and I dont fancy taking it to pieces already. I think it might be the fan or something, the build quality of the head is pretty shoddy to be honest.

5. I had that issue with my Peavey Tour 700 head when I first got it, I just threw a little folded piece of paper under the top lid and it seemed to fix it, though I never knew what the issue is.

6. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    Take an adjustable wrench and see if you can tighten the nuts on the jacks. Mine were a little loose. Tap on the front panel and listen for rattles;tap on the back. Check the 4 chassis screws on the bottom. Wiggle the handle.If the pots are loose you will have to pull the knobs off and use your wrench on the nuts, then put the knobs back on straight.