Amp into interface into computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tvalentine, Jan 21, 2021.

1. tvalentine

tvalentine

Apr 15, 2009
    Hello! Long time lurker, first post. I would love to be able to plug my orange bass head into an interface like the Scarlett, and into my computer. I have an Ampeg SCR DI. Would I need something like that to accommodate for the load? I’m extremely green in production as well as the finer aspects of electronics, so any input is helpful. Thanks in advance if anyone can help out.

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Which Orange head are you using?

How are you using the SCR-DI? As a preamp before the Orange head?

3. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Hi Lurker! Welcome. I am a complete amateur home recording artist. 25 years ago with a four-track and now using Focusrite boxes. Does the Orange have a XLR direct out? If so, you could run that straight into the Scarlett. Have you tried miking the amp? Have you tried recording direct?

You should play around with all three. I have found that bass direct into the Scarlett sounds good, is easy to control, and easy to mix. I haven't seen much advantage to using an amp as a go between or miking.

A lot depends on your music, your studio, and what you are trying to accomplish. There are plenty of people here that can offer advice at all levels.

4. Kevorargh

Kevorargh Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2013
    West Bethel, Maine
    I agree with Basslice, it sounds like you a few options to record your bass, and any of them could sound good. I use a lot of different options myself when recording. Your Amp DI could sound awesome on its own, or you could DI from your Orange head, you could mic your cab with an SM57 or some other mic you love (I like an EV RE-20), or you could direct into your interface.

Unless your Orange head is a full tube head, I don't think you have to worry about a load. I have run DIs from a number of heads over the years (all solid state or class D) and have never blown an amp because of 'load issues' - I believe that that is not an issue for solid state and class D heads.

I think others can speak about loads on amps with much greater authority than me.

kevorargh

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021