1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp is to wide for cabinet.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madmarvin, Jan 28, 2020.

1. madmarvin

madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    Ok so this is more of a aesthetic post than anything else I guess but....

I am looking to buy a 212 cabinet that is 18.5" wide. Head in case is 22" wide. How dumb will this look? Is there any chance that it will be too unstable on stage? Should a get some boards for support?

May be a short time problem until I can find a decent class D that has the tone I want, but I haven't found one yet.

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  2. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle
    Shouldn’t be a problem with stability.
    How about a 212 that’s wider though?

3. madmarvin

madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    I like the height the cab offers. At some point I will have to bite the bullet and get a small micro amp, I'm just not there yet. I have to get the cab first, then find an amp I like, then save up and buy it. But I need to get away from all the big bulky cabs and this seems to be the best solution:

NXT212 ‘Neo X-Treme Technology’ Series 2-12″ w/Tweeter | Bass Loudspeaker

The only issue I see is it's not wide enough.

sing-modulator likes this.
  4. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

That is a <2" overhang on either side. Would not think stability would be an issue.

Aesthetically, not perfect but in my book an acceptable look, especially if you love the amp.

GregC, Lobster11, HolmeBass and 4 others like this.
  5. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’ve got a 24.5” head on an 18.5” cab. Looks dumb. I don’t care. :roflmao: I look even dumber.
    3DAF2626-52DA-444C-9A03-D408E769CBF0.jpeg

6. madmarvin

madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    Love? I can always fall in love again easy lol. But yes, I found that the older Ampegs I have I do really like and I have not found a smaller footprint solution that to me sounds similar.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It's the location of the feet that matter.
    My old V4B was too wide for a cabinet; took a piece of 3/4" smooth face birch plywood with a clear oil finish and maple edge tape and it looked great.
    Started to paint it black but realized the paint would get scratched easily and the oil finish would not show wear.

kjp360, Lobster11, Stumbo and 4 others like this.
  8. madmarvin

madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    The bottom of one road case doesn't have feet, the other does but I think they are pretty close to 17" a part, depth might be an issue with that amp, and the last amp is a flat bottomed one should be fine. Probably can look to add some anti slip tape and be fine. Thanks for the feedback.

9. Put feet on the side of the cab and run it on its side if the "look" bothers you.

kjp360, Jaycephas, kdogg and 6 others like this.
  10. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Not dumb at all.
    Sweet rig...
    Perhaps only gently begging for an additional Berg.:thumbsup:

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I suggest someone start a "My head is too big for my body" club. I would, but I don't have gear that would qualify (darn class D heads!)

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Since when is anyone looking at your rig besides you or other bass players? I suggest you don't worry about it any further

Roger W, GregC, SakuBass and 8 others like this.
  13. hey man, one of the things we bass players have going for us is we're contributing to the average fan's "wow, they have 3 guitar players, look at all the amps" stage presence!

Folks look, they just don't know the difference

madmarvin likes this.
  14. Flip it on it's side and find some type of stand to put the cab on.

15. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I don't know what looks worse a large head on a small cabinet, or a small head on a large cabinet. My 410 looks like it has a pedal on top rather than a head, but who cares? Just play it and don't worry about the looks.:thumbsup:

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve been using a stack of Avatar 126 cabinets (17.75”) with a BX 500 in a full depth SKB 2 space rack case for a while now, including playing out 2~4 nights a week for the better part of a year. It hung over both sides and the back and even sitting on a warped stage with a pair of pliers under one corner to kinda sorta level up the cabs, and never a hiccup. I had an octopus power strip tied to the bottom cabinet handle so there was no chance someone might trip over the drop cord and pull the amp off the stack. I also looped my instrument cable through the same handle and had it plugged into a stomp box tuner off to the side of my position with a longer cord from there to my bass. None of the cords connected to the amp could pull it off the cabinet stack and i never had any problem with it shaking off or being knocked off. Hope this helps.

Goatrope and madmarvin like this.
  17. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I dunno, on a scale from one to tone, appearance isn't even a 2 as far as I'm concerned. And really, how many of you have had a head/cab ever topple over? I use a homemade rack for my wireless, amp, power conditioner, outlets, storage for transmitter and a whole bunch of things, 22" wide, siting on an 19" wide cabinet and have never once knocked it over. And it's a 210 on it's side, it's tall that way, and not even any feet on the "bottom."

madmarvin likes this.
  18. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    When I used to use my Acoustic 450 atop a TL606 cab, it hung over 3 inches or so on either side. First thing I did was relocate the feet, and then routed four shallow cups into the top of the cab for the feet to sit in.

BeyondFiredUp and madmarvin like this.
  19. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    *too

GregC, Salicete, fuzzer and 7 others like this.
  20. madmarvin

madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    Yeah, I can't figure out how to change it. Typed it up fast.

murphy likes this.