Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Mic's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harrod182, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Harrod182

Harrod182

May 2, 2004
    hello everybody
    another thrilling question i have for you all i was looking at mic'ing my amp up on stage as my band are starting to play bigger places and i cannot afford a new amp just yet :(
    i have seen a couple of artists use mics that clip on to you cab tom Delonge of blink 182 is one i know he is a guitarist but i assume it is the same pricable they just clip on your cab and sit there. i considered using the balanced line out but it isnt quite as affective as the sound comming out of my cab as i am using an ampeg v-4bh tube amp.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The clamp is separate from the mic, its one of several commercially available mic clips that can be used with almost any mic. The sound companies my band hires uses them to clip on the drum rims.

There is a lot of pressure behind bass guitar frequencies when mic'ed. While an SM57 will work, to handle the job well you really need something akin to a kick drum mic like a D112 and the like, which are a bit pricier.

I'd really suggest you just get a decent DI and use that to go to the board.

3. Harrod182

Harrod182

May 2, 2004
    do you know what the clips are called at all ???
    so if i buy a good kick drum mic this will be better than most mics?

4. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    For mic choice, I recommend doing a search here for threads about bass cab mics, it's been discussed many times before, including recently.
    Some popular ones for bass are D112, RE20, MD-421, MD-409.

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely.

Some other decent kick drum/bass guitar mics you can look into:

Shure Beta 52
    Sennheiser e602
    AKG D550

If you are on a real tight budget, check out the Shure PG52.