Amp problems, can anyone help???!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hey All,
    I have an old little combo, its a Fender BXR 25 watt. The amp cuts out when i hit lower notes. I'm guessing its just a lose connection that has to be re-soldered. How can I find this connection? This would be my first amp repair and I don't know how to take apart the preamp off the cabinet. I would take it to the shop but I just don't have the money right now. Can anyone tell me how to repair it?
    Thanks alot!
    -Patrick

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi Patrick,
    It's pretty hard to post a correct diagnose this way (without seeing/measuring a sick amp) but,....ummm,let me take a guess:
    If it cuts out COMPLETELY on low freq. you have to deal with the power supply (the SS rectifiers/big electrolytics).Most often,one of these electrolytics go south and negatively affect (though NOT in a permanent or linear manner) the entire amp.
    Again,it's just a blind guess....don't take my word but go to a tech!
    Well,that's another thing...it denotes AN ATTITUDE.
    YOURS.
    Because I'm almost certain you'll end up with a tech,please DON'T tell him THAT phrase.
    This is one of the most annoying words ever heard from a customer:it means that,on one hand,you have the appropriate knowledge and skills to repair it (but,if you're really THAT good,why didn't you solve the problem,dude?) and,on the other,that you have a pretty clear image of what "mighta happen" in your amp and your message to the tech is like "...I might have a clew of what's happening so don't you dare to rip me off!" kind of speech.
    Sorry if I offended you in any way with my longish rant but I just feel that these things had to be said for a mutual physical comfort (yours and tech's).From your lines,I understand that you're a student or something...without the minimum $$ needed for a repair job and,worse,without minimal knowledge regarding to a crappy amp's topology:
    I'm not saying at all that you're a total noob on this matter...only that your ambitions are,momentarily,too advanced for that matter.
    Just spare a few dozens of bucks,get the amp to a good,reputable tech and see your amp healthy and running!
    HTH!
    Regards,
    Le Basseur