Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp problems, can anyone help???!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hey All,
    I have an old little combo, its a Fender BXR 25 watt. The amp cuts out when i hit lower notes. I'm guessing its just a lose connection that has to be re-soldered. How can I find this connection? This would be my first amp repair and I don't know how to take apart the preamp off the cabinet. I would take it to the shop but I just don't have the money right now. Can anyone tell me how to repair it?
    Thanks alot!
    -Patrick

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi Patrick,
    It's pretty hard to post a correct diagnose this way (without seeing/measuring a sick amp) but,....ummm,let me take a guess:
    If it cuts out COMPLETELY on low freq. you have to deal with the power supply (the SS rectifiers/big electrolytics).Most often,one of these electrolytics go south and negatively affect (though NOT in a permanent or linear manner) the entire amp.
    Again,it's just a blind guess....don't take my word but go to a tech!
    Well,that's another thing...it denotes AN ATTITUDE.
    YOURS.
    Because I'm almost certain you'll end up with a tech,please DON'T tell him THAT phrase.
    This is one of the most annoying words ever heard from a customer:it means that,on one hand,you have the appropriate knowledge and skills to repair it (but,if you're really THAT good,why didn't you solve the problem,dude?) and,on the other,that you have a pretty clear image of what "mighta happen" in your amp and your message to the tech is like "...I might have a clew of what's happening so don't you dare to rip me off!" kind of speech.
    Sorry if I offended you in any way with my longish rant but I just feel that these things had to be said for a mutual physical comfort (yours and tech's).From your lines,I understand that you're a student or something...without the minimum $$ needed for a repair job and,worse,without minimal knowledge regarding to a crappy amp's topology:
    I'm not saying at all that you're a total noob on this matter...only that your ambitions are,momentarily,too advanced for that matter.
    Just spare a few dozens of bucks,get the amp to a good,reputable tech and see your amp healthy and running!
    HTH!
    Regards,
    Le Basseur