Amp Rookie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dwm612, Nov 7, 2005.

1. dwm612

dwm612 Guest

Nov 2, 2005
    Olney, Maryland
    Hey All,

Since I've been playing bass I've played nothing but combo amps. Can't complain, in my opinion it's the right type of amp to learn on... Now I'm in a band, knowledgable of my instrument, and looking into a gig rig... I have very little knowledge about heads and cabs, I know how they work for the most part but as far as best stacks and whatnot I'm kinda clueless. Can anyone fill me in with heads and cabs to take a look at? I'd prefer to stay in the $800 range stack to start out.
  2. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    man this is a really tough question. Most of it depends on what kind of music you play and what tone you are trying to get. If you could give us some more details we can probably help you out a lot more.
  3. It depends on what your looking for, as said, and what you are competing with

One thing i'd suggest is a peavey head and cab setup, second hand, they can be had very cheaply and are very good !
  4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    In putting together my own budget rig, I went with a GK Backline 600 head and Avatar cab (2x10 now with a 1x15 on the way). I've been pleased by all of it.
  5. dwm612

dwm612 Guest

Nov 2, 2005
    Olney, Maryland
    I'm currently playing experimental rock (heavy down tuned jazzy stuff). I prefer a more melodic crisp sound with capabilities to deliver clarity in the lows as well... I believe a 200 to 400 watt amp would be plenty powerful. To begin I think I'd only need a half stack (2 x 10 cab)... Does any of this make sense :rolleyes: Thanks in advance for the advice!!