1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Setup

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mickeyj4j, Feb 17, 2016.

1. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    I like my Roland Cube 20XL Bass amp. This is a 20w bass amp with Rolands XL feature which makes tbis amp sound bigger than 20w. It has a great set of features and I like the built in effects it has. I want to use it on stage as the effects. As this is a small amp I would like to know how to plug this into a bigger stage amp. At one venue i play regularly they have a Samick 80w amp. Here are the important parts.

My Amp: Roland Cube 20XL Bass
    Output: RECORDING OUT/phones
    Manual: Cube 20XL Bass Amp

Stage Amp: Samick 80w
    Inputs: 1. Hi 2.Low 3. Effects Input

My setup will be
    Bass>Cube amp>Stage amp.
    Where would be the best place plug the, recording/headphone out of the, Cube into the stage amp. 1. Hi input 2. Low input or 3. Effects return.

I am hoping the effects return will bypass the main amp settings and just use it as a cab. Then I can use my cube as a head amp woo hoo.
    This is a temporary solution until I can save up for the Roland Cube 120XL which has option for an external cab

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help you have to share.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    The Cube 20XL manual doesn't specifically detail this, but my guess is the recording/headphone out is LINE level which is a much stronger signal than your Samick expects for the instrument IN jacks. (It's looking for instrument level - Line level, instrument level, mic level explained) While a decent idea, I'd suggest just grabbing a multi-effects pedal like the Zoom MS-60B. You'll get far more effects flexibility and have an easier/lighter load in and out!

s0c9 likes this.
  3. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Are you sure that the internal speaker on the combo isn't defeated when you're using the headphones jack?

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Nope, most don't work that way. Using the effects return will bypass the PRE-amp, not the power amp/cab.

Your Cube's RECORDING out may over-drive the EFFECT return on the Samick, so if you try that route start with the Cube's volume OFF. I'm guessing the Cube's master volume controls the output level from that jack, and will probably cut the speaker off when a 1/4" cable is inserted. Slowly turn it up as you start playing, and get to that happy place. ;)

And.. that PHONES jack is balanced/TRS/Stereo 1/4" so not sure what that will do to the signal going into the effects return if you use a standard guitar cable to connect.

dheafey likes this.
  5. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Yes I already do have a Korg Toneworks BX5B bass multi effects pedal, and a Behringer VTone Bass BDI21 (a copy of the Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI). The Cube 20XL RECORDING OUT/phones channel can go to a desk for recording or headphones.

6. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Yes the internal speaker obviously does turn offm when anything is plugged into the Recording out/headphone output. so it should work going into the samick amp.
    The manual says its use is for sending to desk to record or plug in headphone