1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philipzatkinson, Sep 28, 2008.

1. philipzatkinson

philipzatkinson

Sep 28, 2008
    I'm a relatively new bass player. I have an Ampeg B2-RE head with an ampeg 4-10HE and ampeg 1-15. I'm playing a Fender Highway 1 P-bass. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set up the amplifier to prevent some noise. I have the knobs set up for the suggested country settings: full bass, Ultra-mid at 10 oclock and Treble at 1 oclock. The instructions say to set the gain so that when you strike a hard note the Peak LED light flashes. When I have the gain set this high I get a lot of noise from the strings, whenever I let off a string, or when I accidentaly bump a string It seems like too much noise. I don't know if I just have a bad playing technique or if I can set up the amp in such a way to avoid the noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, technique is the main thing. All those extraneous string noises are controlled by technique. That said, those noises exist in the very high frequency range, so turning down the highs will help. Also I've heard a few people say the B2-RE is just plain noisy, but I haven't used one myself.