1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp shelf ideas

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cirrus B Low, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Cirrus B Low

Cirrus B Low

Jul 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I am looking for ideas for a shelf to set on top of my 412 cabinet to set my Firebass 700 on. I would like to raise it about 12", putting it more on my line of sight (the wonders of bifocal glasses), and giving me a space to store my gear bag in while I am playing. I could get an empty rack case, but that seems like overkill for what I am needing. I could maybe build something out of wood, but I am not handy with things like that.

2. Check out the big box hardware stores.
    See if you can find a short kitchen/bathroom type cabinet with a drawer that might work.
    Floor cabinets usually have draws but may be too deep (front to back).
    Wall cabinets might be a good depth but don't usually have drawers.
    So you might have to have something with a door instead, but I think it is worth looking.
    Also look in the general shelving area or where they have modular closet organizer systems.

Cirrus B Low likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    GO into your local cheap home decor store and look for a wall-mounted shadow box. They will be painted in various colors and come in various sizes. And they should be pretty cheap. You might even be able to find one unfinished even cheaper. Then you can hit it with a black rattle can and be done. Take your gear bag with you and find one that it fits in. Around here those big home decor warehouses are known as "the pottery".

I would then run to the hardware store (Lowe's or Home Depot) and get you some rubber fet to put on it to keep rattling down to a minimum.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Some people use ATA or other types of cases that the head would go into. Makes sense to use a case that can serve another purpose. If you are near a military surplus, check them out, they have all sorts of cases at reasonable prices. They come in aluminum, ABS plastic, and other materials. Finding one to properly sit on top of the cab that will hold the amp might be a challenge but you never know.