Amp-simulating pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Silly question but are there other effects that can simulate other amps? The BDDI is credited with sounding like an Ampeg SVT. But then again, I have read that a Fulltone Bass Drive also makes an amp sound like an SVT...

Are there any other pedals or effects that can simulate other amps? I use the "transparent" Yorkville it's pretty blah on its own. The BDDI bumps it from a 6 to an 8. So I'm looking for other inexpensive, modular ways of getting different tones.
  2. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Hmmm how do I put this fairly . . .

First - every emulation scheme I've heard never compared to the real deal. In fact I think it's very misleading for some of these companies to use the trusted brand names of high end and vintage gear for marketing their emulation schemes.

That being said - the emulators do provide significant tonal options. They claim they simply use the brand names like "Vintage SVT" as "approximations" of what different emulator models will sound like. Tell that to the kid who just plunked down a few benjis thinking he's got a vault of high end amps in a pedal.

The emulators will give you lots of different sounds - but a $200 pedal won't sound like a $1200 vintage tube head running hot and loud.

Grab your bass - head to the local retailer - plug into a few and listen for
    yourself - you may love the tones - you may think it's a waste of bread.

Either way - you'll know.
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The simulations on my Behringer V bass are passable.... :bag:
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Plenty of amp modelers out there. In addition to the Tech 21 toys, the Boss Amp Factory and the Adrenalinn come to mind, to say nothing of combo hard/software devices like the Bass Pod and the Yamaha Magic Stomp.

Unless you're the using these devices for recording, the amp models aren't really going to hit the mark, especially if you're running the output of these devices through a bass amp. Is a modeled Ampeg SVT going into an 8X10 going to sound that way if you're running the signal through a Yorkville? Probably not.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Firstly, let me say I agree with the others who say that the simulator is not going to be the real deal. However, some of the emulations can be pretty cool. I have a SABDDI, and for a little box, it does a lot. The SABDDI and a power amp weighs a lot less than an SVT head, and doesn't have to be re-tubed. It's not an SVT, but it's probably close enough for me, and the gigs I play.

I also have a Bass Pod (which I'm going to replace due to some electronic problems), and the amp models on this thing are very cool IMO. There's no way I'm going to buy an SVT, a couple of Marshalls, some Eden gear, a B-15, a Polytone Mini-Brute etc. The Pod models go from smooth and mellow to brash and agressive, from monster mids to scooped.

Noone in the audience is going to say, "You know, it sounds like he's using an SVT model. Not quite the real thing, is it?" To the audience (and the rest of the band), it either sounds good or it doesn't.

So. No, your Yorkville isn't going to become a thundering vintage SVT. However, some of these emulators are pretty good, and may give you just what you want.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like this little thing. Cheap and good sounding.
  7. I'm not looking for a tone in particular. I wouldn't mind knowing if there were any other wonderboxes like the SABDDI out there. It takes my Yorkville from a 6 to an 8. And since Yorkville amps are considered "colourless", I was wondering if I could get some additional tones out of it.
  8. Hey Jazz Ad, do you own the Ampworks for Bass? How does it compare to the demo that is featured on the Korg website? How do you use it? It functions like an effect pedal, right? Also, does it seem sturdy and reliable? I was really impressed by the demo video but then's a demo video.
  9. Cool stuff Smash. I have one on order from L&M...the total cost will be $206 but I'm going to rent it for a month before deciding. Since you're more experienced than me, can you tell me if amp-simulations are any good? Good can be defined in two ways: a) good simulation of the amp (see related Amp Trivia thread in the Amps section) or b) just good sounding, without reference to the emulated amp. I was looking at the amp-simulations more than the effects but if the effects are good too, bonus. Also, do you think it's quiet enough to record or is there an audible hiss in the signal?
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting Smash, I guess you'd judge it as better for a home practice/recording tool rather than live work - unless you're a 'set it and forget it' guy.
  11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

I'm coming to Vancouver tomorrow. What pedals do you have that you may wish to part with?

Might take advantage ot reasonable product prices while I'm there.
  12. i have a Vbass and it has a whole section of amp simulations, covers about 13 different bass amps (of course almost every parameter of the simulation is tweakable). I find them interesting, sometime useful, but in general terms not for me. Playin live unless you go directly from the vbass to the board, your own amp/speaker combo colors the simulation, but live you can get decent useful amp tones especially overdriven or grindy stuff, also the tweed type simulation adds pretty good mid warmth. However in the studio, those simulations don't sound like the real deal, but again if you just looking for new useful sounds then its certainly a way to get them