1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnycabaret, Nov 14, 2006.

1. johnnycabaret

johnnycabaret

Nov 13, 2006
    U.K
    Hi. I'm new to this forum and just after a bit of advice. I've just bought a new Epiphone Thunderbird and looking for a gig quality amp to go with it. Been advised that anything 100W+ will do based on what the two guitarists in the band have already. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent amp that would suit the Thunderbird? I've got about GB£400 max to spend. I'm pretty ignorant to all the technical speak too I'm afraid so any explainations of what it would do would help a lot.

Thanks a lot!

Johnny.

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Sure, a 100W amp will do if your guitarists play through 20W combos.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    What type of music is the band?

What do the guitarists play through?

Do you have chance to go try-out any gear?

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    My point is, forget whatever "you've been told", this place is a fountain of info which can be rarely matched by your (or my) musical environment. Write everything: what the guitarists play through, what's the kind of music and what's the type of tone you're after.

5. +1. IMO the more details you provide, the better we can understand your situation and give suggestions. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. :)

6. +2 When I first started playing, all of my guitar playing friends swore up and down that I would never need anything more than 100w. Yeah......right!!!! Glad I didn't listen to them.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    300 watts @ 4 ohms is a good starting point.

Ashdown MAG, Genz Benz GBE 400.

8. johnnycabaret

johnnycabaret

Nov 13, 2006
    U.K
    The lead guitarist plays a Fender Telecaster through an Engl Screamer 50 amp with an Engl Deluxe 2x12 cabinet.

The rhythm guitarist plays an Epiphone Les Paul 'Black Beauty' through a Marshall MG 100DFX amp.

The bands' style is pretty much indie but we're heading towards a Queens of the Stone Age sort of sound.

I'll need something that sounds dirty and raw but gives a clean sound too.

Cheers everyone!

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ahem, see my ad in the classifieds (shameless plug)... :D

10. You will definantly need more than 100 watts with that 100 watt marshall going. What in your money, will get you at least 300 watts and speaker cab to handle? Have you had an opportunity to try anything? What brands are available to you in that price range? Have you checked used gear at all?

11. johnnycabaret

johnnycabaret

Nov 13, 2006
    U.K
    I've not had chance to try anything out yet, and probably won't be able to buy until the new year. Looking around though, I've seen a Line 6 Low Down LD175 for GB£389 and a Laney RB8 for GB£380, both 100W. Both are at the top end of my budget at the moment of GB£400 (US$755 approx). To get anything with a higher wattage I'll probably need about GB£500-GB£600 at least!

12. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I would recommend Genz Benz or GK. Both great choices.

13. I guess sometimes its good living in the US. You don't realize how easy it is to get gear. Plus about $775, for 1 100 watt combo amp? Shoot me in the face now. Sorry to hear of your circumstances. There has to be somewhere to find used gear. I'm positive that if you make your way down to the local shop you could find some piece of used gear for an o.k. price, right? Well, anywho, if I could help you I certainly would. I am about to pay $800 US on a 500 watt head and cab unit around the mid part of december. It must be hard to be a broke musician across the pond.:(

14. I'm not abashed to recommend the Yorkville XM200. Available with two 10's or one 15 and both have horns. Both are rated at 200 watts and have extension outputs.

I have the twin 10s set -up with a single 15 extension cab. The twin 10 XM200 was $549 Canadian dollars in my neighbourhood.

I would never recommend a 100 watt amp unless you're always playing with a quiet drummer and guitarists.