1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 200 watt all-tube SVT-VR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SactoBass, Aug 30, 2017.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Hello TB'ers! I have been playing bass for the past 45 years (I'm now 61). And I have been a member of Talkbass since 2009. I have owned so many different amp rigs over the years that it's embarrassing (including a vintage V4B, SVT-VR, and SVT-CL). And my all-time favorite amp was the USA-made Ampeg SVT-VR. What tone! And what "feel!" But at my age I can't lift an 80+ pound amp any longer, and I never really needed the full 300 watts of all-tube Ampeg power. I have also owned the V4B (vintage), but 100 watts didn't quite provide enough "clean" tube power for my preference.

Okay, enough about me.

Over the years, there are two things I have noticed regarding some bassists on Talkbass (and other bassists not on Talkbass) who prefer all-tube Ampeg amps because of the tone and feel. Those two things I have noticed are:
    • Some bassists feel that the 100-watt all-tube V4B doesn't quite provide enough clean power for their needs.
    • Some bassists feel that the 300-watt all-tube SVT provides a bit too much power (too loud by the time you get to that lovely brink of power tube saturation), and is difficult to lift the amp at 80+ pounds.
    This leads me to the following question:

Why doesn't Ampeg produce a 200-watt all-tube SVT?

It seems to me that such an amp (most likely using four 6550 power tubes) would provide just the right amount of all-tube power for many scenarios for some bassists seeking the Ampeg tone and feel, and perhaps it could be made to weigh somewhere around 60 pounds (still using traditional Ei iron transformers for power supply and output).

Btw, just as a side note: I put the "VR" suffix in the title because, IMO, the VR has a more desirable tone than the CL version (I have owned both). But that's just my own personal preference.

So, an Ampeg 200-watt all-tube SVT-VR (although Ampeg would probably need to call it something other than that since it wouldn't really be a "vintage reissue.")

Is such an amp a concept that other TB'ers would be interested in seeing happen for real? (That is the purpose of this thread.....to find out how many TB'ers out there would be interested in a 200 watt Ampeg all-tuber.)

EDIT: Please note that this thread isn't about loudness (a bassist could just add more speakers to the V4B for that). It's about getting that wonderful Ampeg tone from the amp right at the brink of power tube saturation at a volume that is louder than the 100-watt V4B but not as loud as the 300-watt SVT, while weighing a bit less than the SVT.

(and please keep your comments focused on your level of interest in an Ampeg 200 watt all-tube amp and *NOT* on tubes vs SS or how nice lightweight amps are or how "close" you can get with hybrids or pedals.....there are plenty of other threads on those topics, thanks!).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    mvolfoni, murphy, hisdudeness and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Just get a louder cab to go with the 100w. The increment is too small either way to be worth a new product.

3. SactoBass

Thanks Mr. Foxen. But this thread isn't solely about loudness. It's about getting that wonderful Ampeg tone from the amp right at the brink of power tube saturation at a volume that is louder than the 100-watt V4B but not as loud as the 300-watt SVT. And to some folks (including those like myself who have owned both the V4B and the SVT), that "increment" is not small. It's also about having the tone and feel of an SVT at a slightly reduced weight.

I will add that info to my OP. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  4. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    I like where your heads at OP. That'd change the game up a little from the fender/ampeg competitiveness. Seems like for you though, right now, you might consider getting a traynor and running a scrambler as the eq. Be right in your power/weight ratio! lol

Nashrakh and SactoBass like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I agree with you on the SVT. I also think that most major tube amp makers are missing that same sweet spot in wattage.

However, with the same iron I don't think you would see much weight savings at all. I also don't know that there's a way to squeeze 200W out of only one pair of 6550 tubes....being that it takes two pairs to make 300W. So the tubes might have to be different......and if it takes four of whatever it is.....again, no saving of weight or space really.

A 200W Ampeg would be sweet. But it wouldn't sound exactly like an SVT due to different tubes and it likely wouldn't weight much less at all.

HolmeBass and spaz21387 like this.
  6. SactoBass

Thanks TF.

I'm no amp designer (I'm a civil engineer, not an EE), but I would think that the iron might not have to be exactly the same as the SVT. Perhaps a "little" lighter?? I don't know.

And regarding the number of 6550's, it would be four, not two. An SVT has six. :)

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh yeah! Forgive me. It's been 20 years since I owned one. It IS six!

So, yeah. Four would do it. And maybe a little less iron......

Never mind my BS from before. Sign me up!

J-Bassomatic, High Camp and SactoBass like this.
  8. SactoBass

Thanks Skep! I am familiar with Traynor (I didn't own but I played through Traynor all tube amps back in the 70's). But I would like to keep this thread focused on the Ampeg tone and feel, not other brands of tube amps. I have owned lots of tube amps, and the Ampeg sound is one that I prefer as do many other bassists it seems! :)

9. SactoBass

Okay! That makes two of us who would have an interest in such an amp! :thumbsup:

10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You can't habe this thread without at least bringing in @JimmyM for his Ampegedness...

And @line6man and @agedhorse to just drop some knowledge on is about circuit possibilities.....even though the latter may habe conflicting interests at this point....

12BitSlab and agedhorse like this.
  11. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Orange and Mesa make pretty great 200(ish)w tube heads but they sound very different, If you insisted on an Ampeg style tone, contact Verellen and check if they would make a smaller Meatsmoke, they are amazing.

HolmeBass and punchclock like this.
  12. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    I agree. Ampeg has two great amps that deliver the Ampeg signature sound and one is optimal in the studio (B15) and the other is made for big stages. (SVT)
    A 200 watt SVT that weighed about 50 lbs. would be a very useful amp.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Has Ampeg even had a 200w tube amp in its history at all? I've never heard of it if they have. I don't know...I doubt I'd be interested. I can use a PF-50T on my gigs and still have clean headroom :D Maybe there's a market for it, but I don't know how much more Ampeg wants to split the market.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    As much as I think a 200 watt, bax/active mid, 4x 6550/KT88, 2-4-8 ohm OT ampeg would be a really nice addition to their line up I think it wouldn't be a huge seller. The SVT is top of the line, the V4B RI hits the smaller wattage niche. Putting in the development time/cost for a totally "new" product that steps on the toes of their current product line without a large market share seems like something that just won't happen.

As someone said above, if you want driven tone with a little more volume add some cabs. On paper running the V4B into two cabs would be the same thing as running that 200 watt version into one of the same cab.

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    When they first announced the V4B its what I was sorta hoping for really. Instead of running 7027 on the hot side like vintage V4B. Just using a quad of 6550s at a decent load line for say 160/180ish watts and be done.

Instead we got 6L6
    But yes plenty of other 180/200 watt guad 6550 amps on the market.

But the ampeg badge/ case with classic svt pre would be cool amp for sure
    Why the heck hasn't ampeg done quad 6550 ? heck what about a 200 watt flip top lol

16. SactoBass

Thanks Bogey! I will add you to the list of TB'ers who would have an interest in such an amp!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  17. SactoBass

Thanks CF. That is exactly the purpose of this thread.......to find out how many TB'ers would have an interest in an Ampeg 200 watt all-tuber.

punchclock likes this.
  18. I'd be keen the V4B can be a li'l too li'l for me at times especially when I can't go taking more cabs.
    200w from 4 6550s with the Ampeg know how. ...

murphy and SactoBass like this.
  19. SactoBass

Bingo! Thanks Rod from "down under!" I will add you to the list of TB'ers who fancy the idea of such an amp! :)

punchclock likes this.
  20. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I know Peavey did one at 300W, and not so successfully with the VB-3 but could Ampeg do a 200W tube amp with a switching power supply and have it succeed? Leave off the distortion, presence, resonance controls, nine-band EQ, other gimmicks. Just tube front-to-back with the usual SVT tone controls. Maybe 30 lb?

Son of Wobble likes this.