1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 2x15 replacement speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbanger, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    I have an Ampeg 2x15 and the bottom speaker is messed up. It still works but the cone has came off the foam surrounding and the dust cap in the middle has blown off. The speaker says it is a 86-511-08 model at 8 ohms.

I was wondering what would be a good replacement for this? Would like it to have good low end and mid's.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Jack likes this.
  2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If You'd like to replace only the damaged speaker, I'd highly recomend contacting Ampeg CS direct for the OEM replacement speaker. However, If You are talking about replacing both speakers with something aftermarket, You'll need to do some homework (interior cab dimensions, port tuning, etc) to see what drivers will work the best in that cab.

3. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    I would like to just replace the one broken speaker. Would it just be better to get it re foamed?

4. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    In that case, yes. It would be better and cheaper to get the original re-coned.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Check with Parts Express's speaker reconing service. They may have a surround kit they can sell you: surround + dust cap + white glue. I recently did my pair of Advents with one of their kits. Pretty simple job.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I have no idea where that speaker came from.

Live sound PA or musical instrument speakers dont have foam surrounds. That is most likely a cheap home stereo speaker or a cheap car stereo sub woofer.

Unless it has paper/cloth surround and you describe it as foam.

if the other speaker is this type too, I would take the plunge and get a matching pair of actual Musical instrument speakers.
    The sound will probably blow you away, if you have been playing with car stereo speakers. Not only do they lack any definition and high end/mid frequency response the sensitivity is horrible.

typical car stereo speakers are low around 83 to 89dB and musical instrument speakers are 93dB to 99dB and 15's tend to be in the high range around 95 to 99. if you dont understand sensitivity lets just say it would make a huge difference....huge

depends on your budget and how loud you need to play.

speakers range from 79 to 250$ a good midrange priced 15 has always been the Legend CB158

otherwise slightly lower cost speakers with less power handling would be the Beta 15A, Delta 15A Selenium 15PW3-SLF

Keep in mind thermal ratings have nothing to do with how much power the speaker will take before it reaches 10% distortion.
    So no a 400 watt speaker will not be crystal clear with 400watts pumping into it. Xmax rating can clue you in how much actual distortion free signal you get

the legends as a pair will do about 280/300 watts with 4.5 to 5mm xmax. and the lower cost speakers will to about 150/180watts with 3 to 4mm xmax. Speaker inductance or Le will somewhat tell you the highend. so high inductance around 1.1 to 1.9mH will have little highend. speakers with lower inductance around .33 to .80mH will have more highend.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1 to getting the correct speakers, so they work right with the cab. if there was actual foam involved, you had bogus car or home stereo replacements like bogey was talking about.

barring that, and assuming these are in the ballpark as far as the cab specs go, i really like the eminence kappa 15As in my two compact single 15 boxes; loud, plenty deep enough and still bright and grindy. they're rated at 450w RMS, and they're cheap, like $100 each.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    The part number he posted 86-511-08 is correct for an Ampeg OEM driver made by Eminence. I think he's just using the wrong terminology.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    ah good news then, wondering if that was the case, then its just a terminology thing.

Well the original factory eminence speakers are not really worth the cost of a recone. You can get a brand new Eminence that will perform similar, most likely better for the same cost. The upgrade JBL speakers offered at the time are worth recone or ebay sale...anyways not the case.

The Delta15a is the modern equivalent to those factorys, good highend not a super powerhouse but similar to what your use to.

The Kappa15A as mentioned is a good speaker as well, compared to the CB158 they are alomost the exact same speaker, cast frame, voice coil size, magnet size etc etc.
    But the legend CB158 has some slight changes made to it to perform as a full range musical instrument speaker. So I would stick with the legend. take the plunge, buy a matching pair, use a new jack and wires, bang ready to go. Delta or legend 150 watts or 300watts....

Ampslut likes this.
  10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Some vintage Jensen Flex-Air speakers would be the schiz. Orange surrounds.

11. Replacing a cabinet with original factory drivers is the best bet for keeping the original cab performance and sound.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the input!

I did use the wrong term. It is not foam.

My next question would be what is a good adhesive to use to glue the surround back to the cone? Preferably one that I can get at a local store.

Thanks!

13. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    the truth is, if the speaker is destroyd to that point, there is little to lose. i would recommend trying something serious, like superglue. the gel kind is a lot easier to deal with. i have "repaired" a number of speakers this way, as well as fixing torn paper with tissue or newspaper sopped in thinned elmers glue-all. hell, i once fixed an EAW 2x18 sub which was driven way too hard--- the spiders had been blown off of the motor structure, but the coils were still good. i used superglue--- was real careful about alignment and let it set up overnight. ive put hundreds of hours on that cab since, pushing with a 2000 watt amp very near its maximum sustainable power. sounds as good as it ever did.

14. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    not totally sure but, maybe they (the 86-511-08) are similar to a delta 15pro
    am wondering myself because there is one for sale, and i still need a speaker for this empty 115e (2 small ports on bottom) i have.
    p

15. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe send both in. If they do the same to both, they should still match pretty well. If you get a new cone and foam on just one, you may have altered TSP's, especially if it's not an OEM kit used. Even then, you'll have one broken in and one new. Just a thought. I've never had a speaker professionally reconed or refoamed. So far, I've been pretty lucky hacking away at them myself.

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Ampeg 86 511 08 15 8 ohm Woofer for SVT 15E | Full Compass

That's the direct replacement part.

17. There ya go, OP. Re-coning is a little tricky. Also, if the speaker has been used while the surround was off, it's possible the voice coil had some contact with the air gap at some point. If it was me, I'd re-cone both speakers. If I were YOU, I'd buy two new OEM speakers. If you'd filled out all the info in profile and I knew where you lived, I'd consider offering to buy your cabinet as-is.

Ampslut and BadExample like this.
  18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    DIYing it will likely leave the speaker beyond repair. A pro shop should get the cone off and inspect. If you really want to try and repair it your self, your best bet is simplyspeakers.com They sell adhesives that won't ruing the cone and will work well. You should get new surrounds. They have videos. I wouldn't do it to a $200 MI speaker, but I've had very good luck with stereo woofers with deteriorated foam. I'd call a few shops and ask for a ballpark price on repair.

19. Just as a thought, the OP hasn’t logged in since June 2011. @PawleeP has brought forth yet another Zombie!! :(

bobyoung53 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017