1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 410 Classic questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kmay, May 26, 2012.

1. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Ok,
    I am a bit new at the bass playing thing. Only been playing bass for a couple of years. So I went out and got an Ampeg 410 Classic used.
    I have, or am having, a few issues with it. I have searced the web and these forums best I could to find some info, but posting a thread seems to be the quickest way...
    The cab has 4 10" eminence speakers in them. Seriel number is: 10401A and they are 4ohms. Are these stock Ampeg speakers that usually come in these cabs? Also, on another thread I read that someone elses Classic 410 is sealed...well mine has 3 ports in the bottom of it. About 2 or 2.5" diameter. Is this normal?
    The reason I am curious is because the guy I got it from works on amps, cabs and guitars...and I was told he may have modded this cab. It still has the tweeter in it...and it is physically hooked up...but I cant seem to hear it or get any difference from sound when I turn the knob on the back.
    So, in conclusion:
    Do I have a true Ampeg Classic cab? Or one that has been tampered with? It seems that it is wired in series? Is this correct? For 4 4ohm speakers seems like it would have to be.
    Any info, helpful advice or solutions is more than welcomed. Atm, I cant stand the sound I am getting from this cab. It sounds nothing like the ones in stores or anyone elses rigs. So I would like to fix it if it is a cheaper solution than getting an entirely new cab.
    Thanks for anyones help.

2. Hey,

Post a pic would help

3. pics!

And telling us which model you think you have - what does it say on the Jack plate.

4. Sounds like an SVT410HLF to me.

Is it boomy? Picture, please.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, there is more than one SVT 410 cab. The HLF, which is ported and 4 ohms, and the HE which is sealed and 8 ohms. By your description, it appears you have the HLF, which has MANY threads on the topic. Pics will help.

6. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    The jackplate says SVT410HLF.
    And it says 500wattsrms/1000watts peak. 4 ohm.

7. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    And yes. Very "boomy"! Lol! I have read it makes a good cab for additional lows and such. So is this the wrong cab to have as a stand alone? Because I cant get any highs or presence out of it.

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You may want to try some different settings on the amp and bass and maybe some new strings. Also where do you pluck? Try playing closer to the bridge.

9. I re-read the post to see if the head type was stated, as my ADD causes me to skip things.

I have an SVT-CL and two SVT410-HLFs, and sometimes go with just one. They are REAL boomy, but can be made clearer with EQ adjustments on the bass and the head. The trade off (IMO) is that they seem to handle the B a little easier. Not that the other 410s don't, just easier.

It's weird, because the 610 seems to be ported the same, but the frequency response isn't as low as the 410HLF on the Ampeg site.

There are a lot of 410-HLF haters out there. My neighbors hate mine.:D

10. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Ok. Heads. I play through a Markbass LMIII.
    I found a post by someone that has this exact same rig. They love it. And everyone is talking about how great the tone is/or should be. Mine is terrible. I have adjusted eq on bass and head. Nothing. I also play a 5 string. Active pups (or preamp at least). Idk...i dont know much about all the sounds cabs/heads give yet because I havent gotten to play everything. I have played what I can when available. I can hook this exact rig up at gtr cntr and it sounds better than mine at home. Maybe a speaker is messed up? How should it be wired? I can take mine apart and look at it...also...the knob on the back. Says "level control". Is this just for the tweeter?

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What are your settings?

It's important to note that the VPF and VLE need to be all the way down for them to be inactive. If they're turned up, that might be part of the problem. I like a little dose of VPF (variable preshape filter)...it boosts lows and highs and scoops the mids.

Sometimes I like the VLE (vintage loudspeaker emulation)...it wipes out the highs like an old-school cabinet with big speakers and no tweeter. Great for Grand Funk tunes!

To your question...yes, the "level" control is just for the tweeter.

I find that my LittleMark III likes cabinets with scooped mids...I'm not sure how scooped the mids are on an SVT-410HLF.

Go really easy with low end boost, I doubt you need any of that.

And...don't go too hot with the MarkBass gain control. They sound (to my ear) terrible if the clip light is flashing...

12. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    LmIII settings:
    I pretty much keep everything at noon. I put the mid high at like 2 oclock.
    Mostly because I read thats what most other peeps do. Lol! As far as the other two. They are changing constantly...trying to figure out what they actually do to my sound. I didnt know the vintage one killed highs...might be part of my problem. I keep the gain decently high...but it rarely clips...usually about 1 oclock on gain...
    Wiring: (just in case). I took the speakers out and looked. I found the thread on here that give directions on how to wire the speakers...but idk if mine is "exactly" right. My red and black go to the tweeter like they are supposed to. My blue and white. Now this is what i dont know about. If you are looking at the front of the cab, the white goes to top left and the blue to top right. Then there are two other wires that go bottom left, then bottom right and then top right. Is that correct? Should they split like that? Or should they both go to one speaker then daisy chain off all the way around?
    Ps. Sorry I cant post pics. I am doing all of this off my phone...

13. LMIII- VLE rolls off hi's just like yr tone control on a passive bass. VPF scoops more mids out the more you turn it up

14. Key work "modded" sounds like the speakers might have been changed, and are possible not designed to work in that cabinet.

The cab has 4 10" eminence speakers in them. Seriel number is: 10401A and they are 4ohms. Are these stock Ampeg speakers that usually come in these cabs? Also, on another thread I read that someone elses Classic 410 is sealed...well mine has 3 ports in the bottom of it. About 2 or 2.5" diameter. Is this normal?

15. As soon as you can get to a computer (easier than phone) do a search here and elsewhere. I remember seeing a wiring diagram for a 610 here somewhere, so there has to be one for the 410 also. I looked at my owner's manual and nothing there. If I find one somewhere, I'll post a link.

If you've tried an identical rig at GC and it sounded great, then you're right. Something's up with the cab.

I find the cabinets are punchier if I keep the bass setting at 10 o'clock or a little higher, but lower than noon depending on the room.

16. Kmay

Kmay

Dec 18, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Ok everyone. Thanks so much for all the info.
    I searched for wiring on here and couldnt find a diagram. So I googled it. Found a diagram that shows how to wire 4 8ohm speakers for an 8 ohm load...my speakers are 4 ohm...but I am assuming the wiring part will be the same. If so, then my cab is wired wrong. So I will be tearing into it shortly to try a rewire. Hopefully that and the adjustments to the eq section will yield positive results. Thanks again!

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Correct, the wiring is the same. Be very careful to observe proper polarity. If you connect speakers out of phase, your low end will disappear.

19. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011