Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg 410 vs eden 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 46&2 Undertow, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Eden WT-400 and Eden 410 XLT

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Ampeg SVT 3 pro and Ampeg SVT 410 HLF

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. 46&2 Undertow

46&2 Undertow Guest

Nov 25, 2003
    Right now I play through an Ampeg BA 115 and it isn't cutting it anymore. So I have decided that I want either an Eden 410xlt and an Eden wt 400 or an Ampeg svt 410hlf. How do they compare to each other? What are the differences in sound? I play mostly rock and some metal. thanks

2. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    The eden rig would towel up the ampeg rig.

I'd save the extra couple of hundred for the WT-550 though .......the extra headroom will come in handy

3. Eden spanks Ampeg.

Hands down, IMO.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i really dislike eden stuff. I finally found a dealer here in town and had to try it out after i heard all the hype. I hated it, but i mean i can see where it would be good. Dont get me wrong it sounded technically good, just not a sound i like. I have an all ampeg setup and i think it sounds alot better for rock stuff. I am also a huge tool fan and i think it sounds great for tool. That good heavy rock sound is what ampeg does best.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Another vote for the Eden, but check them out yourself for your personal tastes.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden, Eden, bo-beden
    Bananapana fo-feden,
    Fee fie mo-meden,
    EEEEEEden.

phillybass101 likes this.
  7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the ampeg has a more rounded, blunted edge yet chewy aggro rock sound. while the Eden has a more woolly, furry, aggro rock sound. depends on what you dig.

me? Eden, all the way.

funny, but i've been GAS'in for an XST210. already have a pair of Acme 1x10's, as well as the B-4 4x10. might as well try what the competition has. ;)

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ampeg all the way. can you say, gggggrrrroooooooowwwwwwwllllllll :)?

9. Between those two I'd say Eden. Here's why:
    Eden sounds great and it will fit in more music situations then just hard rock. Yet it will sound fine in the rock setting. The 410 xlt is one of the best cabs around period. I would agree that you might consider the WT 550 since the headroom will be a big plus.

I was looking at buying the ampeg head and thought it wasn't very loud when I tried it out. I researched it on this forum and found that comment a lot. When trying other Ampeg heads I just don't hear the clarity needed to cut thru heavy guitars.

On big stages Ampeg's the industry standard. But whenever I see a club band and the bass players playing an Ampeg head more often then not it sounds muddy.

I play hard rock/Metal with a GK 800rb thru an Ampeg BXT 410 and 115 HL4 and it's plenty loud. In fact with one of those cabs it's loud enough.
    It also cuts through just fine.
    Let us know what you decide and how it sounds!
    Robert

10. Trevor

Trevor

Dec 28, 2003
    With Eden stuff you are more flexible in sound, you can swith around in all different genres and always have a good or great sound. Ampeg stuff is not that flexible. It's got the "Ampeg-Tone". If you like it it's fine, if not.......! Of course you can play different styles but not as well as with an eden.
    But for Punk/HC/Metal stuff Ampeg wins by far (my opinion). The best is to go to your local music store and play both brands. The one you like most is the best for you.
    Good luck!

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Cabinet wise, I'd choose the Ampeg. I've tried a number of Eden cabinets (D210XLT, D410XLT and 210XST) (albeit not on a gig) and I don't care for them. I do like the 410HLF though (haven't gigged with that either).

I presently have a D410XLT in my basement, as one of my Avatar B212s had been lent to a TalkBass brother for a gig tonight. At home, he said he LOVES the Avatar, we'll see what he has to say tomorrow after the gig.

I really want to like the Eden XLT cabinets...they have a great rep and they certainly look cool...but my ears tell me that I like my Avatars better.

I've never played around much with an Eden amp...kind of afraid to as they aren't cheap even on the used market and I don't want to get a serious jones for one.

How about an Eden head and the Ampeg cabinet?

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think Ncognito still uses an Ampeg SVT-4pro with a D410XLT. If I see him tomorrow, I'll ask him to join in with comments about Ampeg head/Eden cabinet.

13. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just picked up a D-410T recently, and I use it with my SVT-3 Pro. I really dig the combo. The Ampeg growl really shines through with the Eden cabs. Using my G&L with this setup, it really really fat, growly, and clear. The Eden Tweeter easily outdoes any Ampeg one's i've ever heard.

14. me want eden.

15. My thoughts exactly.

16. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Big thanks to BillyB_from_LZ for letting me borrow one of his Avatar 212's. It sounded great at home, but didn't cut it at my gig yesterday.

I've used an Eden 410XLT for about the last 8 years. I bet I've owned no less than 20 others cabinets (many of these have been big name boutique cabinets) over these last 8 years, always trying to improve over my Eden, and nothing has even come close.

I'll probably try an Ampeg BXT-410HF next.

Any other cabinet suggestions?

17. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    When it came time to purchase my 4x10 cabs, I was able to compare the eden xlt with the ampeg cabs. The only cab that I found to be every bit the Eden xlt's equal was the Ampeg BXT 4x10. The price for the Ampeg was a little less so that's what I went with. I am very happy with these cabs, I would never consider any other 4x10 Ampeg cab unless they made major upgrades to the components. Take a look at the components of the different 4x10 cabs on the Ampeg website, none of the other 4x10 cabs Ampeg makes comes close to their BXT's

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sean: I think that's because the BXTs are designed right. The Ampeg 410s I've seen out and about (the majority of them) were the boxes that weren't much deeper than the 10s they housed, and weren't ported. Ampeg wisened up, and built some cabinets lines that were tuned lower than a 50hz roll off. Which is a good thing.

That in mind, some Ampeg cabs aren't too bad. Most of them seem lacking though.

(Eden dude here)

19. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I tried the SVT-410HLF at the rehearsal studio last weekend. It has deep dense lows and doesn't really sound like what you'd expect from a 4x10 cab.

At the same studio I've also used the Eden D410T, which is very inefficient and doesn't sound good at all unless you hit it with it's maximum rated power. It's rated 4 ohms / 500 watts and finally started to sound good when I hit it with 600 watts. I'm convinced Eden lies about their efficiency ratings. The D410T is rated at 105db. I've matched it up with another cab rated 99db with the same power (250 watts per channel) and the 1x15 99db cab was much louder.

With enough power, the Eden has more warmth and growl and made my SVP-PRO sound more like Ampeg than the Ampeg cab did. The SVT-410HLF is louder, with deeper thicker lows. It would be great if you're looking to replace a 15 or 18 with a deep 4x10 cab (and optionally use it under another standard-type 4x10). The SVT-410HE would give you a more traditional Ampeg 4x10 sound, and would probably be a more fair comparison to the Eden 410T or XLT. The XST would be the model to compare to the HLF.

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't know what you are talking about the 410T being inneficient-It totally smokes my 100DB cab I have along side it... Mine being an 8 ohm cab-I have the volume around where I had it for a 4 ohm load, and it is just as loud. The Ampeg 410HLF is a good cab, But I've found it's a little too scooped, and it's a bummer it's only available in a 4 ohm load. The 410HE can't do anything on it's own-There's no bottom end. Now on the 410T's and 410XLT's, there is alot of low end. I have to crank my bass controls down with my Eden (FWIW-If you boost the 80HZ with the 410T-the lows start pumpin, because that's it's +/- 2db point). I haven't tried Ampeg's BXT line (Or the BSE) but I imagine they are better. I'd say mix and match the Ampeg top with the Eden bottom.