1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 610 HLF - What head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stein, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Stein

Stein

Oct 4, 2007
    So...

What head do you guys use on this cab instead of the "standard" SVT-CL? And why? What does it sound like?

I'm thinking of replacing my CL with some other head, wanting a more cut-through almost clean sound... But with some room to adjust of course ;)

Thanks.

-S-

2. I'm using a GK 1001rb-II with my 610hlf, it sounds very clean and can cut if I want it to, I've been experimenting with the contour control lately and also the 5 string button which seem to add extra depth - it suits the cab. It's a great cab.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    SVT VR

4. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    I've just bought an AD200B which I dig. Alot. My other head is a Mark Bass SA450 which also works very, very well. Before that I gigged with my Demeter/Crown. I've also gigged with a 1001RB-II and liked it. I personally find that speakers have the biggest effect on tone and with all of those heads the cab still had it's sound.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    4pro ftw

6. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I've been using my SVT-2 Pro on mine for quite awhile. Really, it's my all-time favorite combination for a versatlile rock tone. The 2 Pro is similar in sound to the CL, but with a ton more tonal control (and is rack-mountable).

7. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I use the SVT4-Pro - the power output is perfect for it. That is your high dollar choice. But - if you want to save huge bucks find an Acoustic 370.

I used both heads on a 800 watt RMS 2x15 at my last job. Band and sound man were split on what head they liked best.

I am planning a write up on it when I have the chance.

Seriously - you can score a nice 370 for $250 to $350. A 320 will do also but have less gutt ripping low end - though tthe highs are better.

8. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    EBS Fafner. Perfect match!

9. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    So far I've gigged with my SVT 4 pro and a 1001RB throught that 6x10. Both sound better through the ampeg thanthrough my goliath senior. I'm about to try it with my new mb2-500 this weekend. I also played it with a Walter Woods 200 watt model. I think that cabinet will sound good with any head.

10. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    I would say an ebs fafner i absolutly love the tone on that thing. I havent played it through said cab but i did play it through an ebs classis line and loved it.

11. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I've had my 610hlf for about 4 years now and have used: SVT-CL,GK 800RB.GK1001RB,Carvin B500,Carvin B1500,and a Markbass Sa450. They all sounded very good with it. I agree with "Mani". The cabinet seems to have a particular color that comes through. I loved the SVT-CL with it but only on real big stages or outside. It was too fat with that cab in bars and medium/small clubs. I find solid state amps have a tighter, more controlled sound with it.. I use my Markbass most of the time because of the weight (great tone too!) but love the sound and power with the Carvin B1500. The Carvin B1500 will blow the doors off the Ampeg SVt4.

12. CFHtyler84

CFHtyler84

Jul 7, 2006
    Shreveport
    I highly recomend trying your cab and bass through an ampeg 6 pro. You can pick them up cheap typically. They are wonderfully versitle heads with 1,100 watts at 4 ohms with compressor built in. The parametric eq takes getting some used to but it allows for so much versatility in tone. I run mine through an ampgeg 4x10 hlf and absolutely love it. I have used the 6 pro through ampeg 6x10's at GC's and nothing but good tone, i actually prefered it to my svt 810e that i had.

13. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    GBE 1200

14. +1

I use the 4 Pro with mine and it is killer..........

15. livewire78602

livewire78602

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    So the cabinet is rated for 600 watts rms and 1200 peak, according the specs on the 4PRO head, it runs at 1200 watts normaly and 1600 watts maxed out, so does anyone think that the 4pro is to powerful for the 6x10 cabinet? Im worried about frying some speakers but that is the head I wanted to go with.

thanks

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    When I had my 610hlf, I used an Ampeg B4r bridged (1000 watts) into it. It sounded great! very clean sounding and LOUD!!!

17. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    Unless you are in a death metal band playing arena's without running through p.a., or pushing tons of bass, you will be fine.

18. +1

I hear the AD200's go well with ampeg cabs too.

19. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    I would like to add the MarkBass LMII to my Fafner suggestion. The small amp does look a bit daft on top of it but the sound is amazing.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

unfortunately, w/ that cab, it'll be pretty flippin hard to find that sound. *shrug*