Ampeg 610 Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xkalenx, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. xkalenx

xkalenx

Mar 4, 2008
    Played a show a couple weeks ago with my band and noticed my cab lighting up - I know about the fuse-light business, but I really don’t feel that I was pushing the cabinet that hard. Then today while we were jamming I pulled the grill cloth off and noticed that the top left speaker was working way harder than the rest (I had to replace that speaker years ago).
    I’m running a sansamp bddi into an svt-3pro into the 610, but as I said, I don’t feel I’m pushing the cab as the head’s output is 450 watts and the cab is rated for 600.
    Is it normal for the one speaker to be pounding while the others are not? Should I not be able to turn this thing up and get some decent power? I’m pretty clueless when it comes to this business so any input would be great.

2. Only thing I could think of is maybe that speaker is wired backwards from the rest or something so maybe it's pushing the. The rest are pulling?

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Comparing amp watts and speaker box rated watts is not win-win.

4. Is the replacement speaker a different impedance from the rest?

5. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I’d look at this first. I just became an owner of a 610hlf (literally today, I’ll pay the owner for it here shortly...:D). But I’ve researched the cabinet and learned that the driver are 24-ohm drivers wired in parallel to make for a 4-ohm load.

What that techspeak means is that it’s really easy to not realize that and pop an 8-ohm speaker in there. That incorrect speaker will catch a lot of the load and make the amp see a lower nominal impedance. In the case of the Ampeg SVT 3 Pro, it’s looking at a lower impedance than it was designed to safely handle, which will be detrimental to its life.

Double-check that replacement speaker

If that’s not the problem, then the replacement speaker might be wired out of polarity with the other speakers, as suggested earlier. Past that, I’m out of ideas for now.

Good luck.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Everyone is going to tell you that all speakers take the signal evenly at the same time. I had a couple of 610s over the years and every single one had problems with the upper left speaker when playing at volume. Finally one day I was in my local Ampeg dealership when the rep came in when I just so happened to be there to order another speaker. I asked him what was up with it. Before I told him he asked "is it the top left one?". He said it was a known issue and common in the 610 and that for some reason that speaker got the signal first and hardest and always had more displacement than the rest. He comped me the speaker.
    And..... now everyone will tell me he was wrong and that can't happen.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    In the current Ampeg 610 HLF cabinets, the speakers are six ohm and wired series-parallel. Pairs in series (6+6=12 ohms), three pairs in parallel (12 || 12 || 12 = 4 ohms). As illustrated here: Ampeg 610 cab wiring help

8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Oops! I got some bad intel, then. Gonna edit the previous post on this.

I understand the concepts and results of series/parallel wiring.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    You are probably running your amp at quite a bit more than it's rated power, the 450 watt rating refers to the clean output.
    In order to light up the tweeter bulb fuse you would need to introduce quite a lot of harmonic distortion from some source, either the preamp gain stage and or power amp or be running some sort of distortion pedal when this occurs.
    Unless your replacement driver is the wrong impedance and causing the power amp stage to oscillate and distort badly the bulb fuse will not be lighting other than, by the passive high pass filter mistaking the broad top of the lower frequency square wave as a number of higher frequency peaks.
    Thus transferring the lower frequency signal that should not arrive at the tweeter via the crossover to the tweeter.
    The rule of thumb that will save you mucho dollars is never run a bass rig dirty louder than you can play it clean.:)X

Geri O likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Do the 9V battery test and ensure all the cones are moving in the same direction and by about the same amount.

11. I would be just curious enough to want to check the DCR of each speaker.
    If they are 12 ohm, they will read something around 10.
    The important part is they should read close to the same for every one of them.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021