1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 8-10ers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the engine, Mar 26, 2009.

1. the engine

the engine Guest

So after a bunch of years being away from the 8-10...I'm back! Lovin it. To keep it short, my question is this. Have any of you done anything to change the outside of the cab to protect it? I don't care about keeping it "orirginal" or anything like that. I've heard that some guys spray it with truck bed liner. That actually sounds kinda cool to me. I really don't want to go to the added weight of a road case. It's not really THAT important to me. I was just thinking that if there were something I could handle on a pretty Saturday afternoon, then I would probably give that a try. Thanks in advance.

2. I dare say you could always use a stronger coating. But come on, who wants an 810 that doesnt have some road rash!

3. JustRob

JustRob

Dec 15, 2008
    Central USA
    Bed liner is good and tough, applied thickly enough. You might also add some skid rails to it, some Ampeg 810s and 610s came with them. Just black plastic strips affixed to the back of the cab that allow you to lay the cab on its back to slide it into your van/suv/truck without tearing the tolex.

4. the engine

the engine Guest

Yep. Mine has the skids. And I agree mohawk, some roadrash isn't too bad. I may not tackle the project at all until it needs it. Just curious if there was anything else out there other than truck bed liner spray.

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
  6. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    Bassrockstar had one a few years back with diamond plate on it,It was BaddAss! Hit him with PM, he may still have some pics of it.

7. While not an Ampeg 810.

My marshall 810 has diamondplate running right up both sides at the back of the cab (L shaped plate going around the corners), aswell as a diamondplate kick-plate at the bass of the cab, and a pop out hand (flight case style) on the bottom of the cab :bassist:

Looks awesome, but can make a hell of a mess of the stage if you have to drag it on!

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    As an owner and user of several fridge cabs, both Ampeg and Acoustic, the padded cover, or even unpadded, gets my vote. They're not real expensive, no installation time and protects just enough to keep them from getting any more battle scars, of course, unless you drop it or something. Plus in the resale mode, original or original type replacement tolex always gets more money. :cool:

9. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    When my road-only 8x10 developed nasty leprosy I pulled the tolex off and spray bombed it black. Now when it starts looking beat, a couple puffs of tremclad and it's good as new... well, maybe not new, but at least it's black again.

It's a total 80s beater so I could care less. Works for me.
    Short of a proper road case the padded cover's likely your best bet.

10. the engine

the engine Guest

You guys who mentioned the covers...have you had experience with them dragging the cab up onto a stage? I would think that would be hard on anything cloth. Thanks for the suggestions BTW.

11. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Skid rails down the side lets it take up even less room in the vehicle and makes them easier to load.

12. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    Years ago when I was gigging with an 810, I had is covered in carpet. It held up really well, and looked brand new for years.

Now I have an AV and it has the skids, which work really well if you can load and unload while leaving it on its back. However, I've only moved it from my house to my studio, so I can't give a long term review of that method.

13. Why not take the cover off just before dragging it onto the stage? Let the skid rails take the hammering there?

14. for my SWR 410, i made a BBQ cover into a cab cover. after years of giging with it, both the cab and the cover are perfect. one can argue that SWR uses carpeting, but still its perfect