1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810e holy grail!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vollerenbass, Mar 9, 2013.

1. vollerenbass

vollerenbass

Sep 8, 2011
    chapel hill nc
    Endorses by clayton usa
    Recently sold my Gallien Krueger Neo 410 for $400, good cab, just I wanted more. Poked around on Craigslist and found a old, hurt looking svt810e. American Made and looked to be vintage.

Contacted the gentleman (nice guy btw )
    He provided me with a serial number 181EHDxxxx, a 1995 slm made 810e. The asking price was $450 I countered 4, settled on $425.

Arrived at the gentlemans house only to see a rough, whitefaced ampeg 810 staring at me. Skateboard trucks on the back towel bar on the head. As I looked inside the cab when I removed the speaker I noticed it was osb and the speaker was quite light 30oz maybe. I look for th stamping on the speakers but instead find a label reading 86-xxxx. I spoke to ampeg customer service the day prior and she stated that cabinet in their file said it was an Eden speaker ampeg cabinet. I was struck with silence and asked her to repeat this. She said if the numbers on the speakers start with 86, that was a cabinet fitted with Eden speakers. A rare option only available for a year or two. She said it was a lucky find and I should be quite happy.

Da**ed if I didn't strike gold! What is the value on such a cabinet? Are they rare in a good sense or in a bad?

Jimmy is the man and walked me thru this whole process! The cabinet sounds AMAZING with my GK700RBII pushing it. It doesn't fart at all!

I'd load a picture but dont own a computer.

It's a 1995 Ampeg svt810e "rhino liner" looks bad no tolex and a very badly assembled frame for grill cloth and a white speaker board. Conolte with skateboard trucks Idk what the hell they were thinking. Should I re cloth it with the ampeg silver blue? Re tolex it?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Ummmm...... Dunno what to say, exactly, but EVERY speaker at SLM had an 86 prefix....... whether they came from Eden or Eminence, or from china.

Eden 10" are 86-508-08 and 86-508-16 they are cast frame, and fairly chunky, actually. If you have them, you did do pretty well. That was an expensive cab when new.

A Gauss 15" is 86-790-01, a Fane Medusa 86-090-08, etc, etc...... Whoever told you that about the numbers had no idea what they were saying, or worse.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh dang...so that pic of an Eden speaker I saw that says 86 on the cone doesn't mean 86 was Eden's EIA code? ;) I could never find Eden's code to verify it, so those numbers should help vollerenbass to get to the bottom of it. Never have heard one of those Eden cabs, but would like to. A favorite of Billy Sheehan's I'm told.