Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10e not enough power ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Jul 24, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    hello i was wondering how you can use the higher powered ampeg amps with the ampeg 8x10e . its its rated at 800watss 4 ohms and 1,600W program handling what program handeld mean. can you run a 1,200 watt head without damiging the head.

eric

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I called an Ampeg tech about this. I had an Ampeg BXT 410 that was 600 watts rms and 1200 program. He told me that I could put up to a maximum of 1200 watts into the cab without burning it up. So I bridged my SVT 4 pro ( 1200 continuous) into the 600 watt BXT and it never sounded better. I did this for two years and never had a problem.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Remember that when you have more than enough watts, you can just turn down. More watts usually will give you a better sound at higher volumes and will add headroom. I think the 1600 is peak handleing.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Yes, watch your volume and be aware that you can drive your cabs alot harder with the extra headroom.