Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Amp spruce up

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Michael Nickerson, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Michael Nickerson

Michael Nickerson

Apr 24, 2003
    Maine
    TB has always impressed me with its amazing ability to establish a "network" for solving most bassist problems, and I'm hoping to take advantage of that with my issue.

I have an old Ampeg Flip-top tube amp with a 12" speaker. I got it used back in 1974, so I'm guessing it's about 1969/1970. Over the years the side cabinet clips got worn and loose (and lost) and the wiring was getting frayed. I took it to a local music store and asked if they could help refurbish it. They sent it out to someone else who, apparently pressed for time, sent it back jerry-rigged with wire connectors and wing nuts. The connections work okay and I'm enjoying playing my Christopher hybrid DB (with a Fishman Full-circle PU) through it, but I'd like to get the amp back to its original set up. I've accessed the Ampeg website but they seem to only defer to registered dealerships, who may or may not work on "vintage" amps.

Can any of you recommend someone (preferrably in the Northeast) that can give my Ampeg the kind of tlc it deserves?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I would suggest that you post this over in Bass Guitar land; the likelihood of finding someone will be greater up there, even though you do play DB.

Monte

3. Michael,
    I live in Massachusetts and would be glad to give your Ampeg some TLC. I service amplifiers as a part time gig (I teach electronics by day) and am quite familiar with old Ampegs. I can also get all the restoration parts you need. If you're interested you can email me at

ampegb15@excite.com

Dave Mitchell
    Mitchell Sound Sevice