Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg + Avatar = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumzini, May 24, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have Avatar 212 and 410 powered by Hartke 4000...considering getting an Ampeg SVT4 Pro at $971...does anyone have this set up or some combo of Avatar? Opinions?

2. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    I have an Avatar B115H powered by Ampeg B2R. works great, i love it. I would love it more if it was an SVT4 Pro :p

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What's wrong with your Hartke?

4. I used to run a 4-Pro into two Avatar B210 cabs. Sounded great - you could definately tell it was an Ampeg amp, but the cabs didn't have the snarly sound of the Ampeg 810. Was a great combination!

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I use the 4000 with the hartke 4200 cab - 4ohms 4x10 , when I add the avatar 2x12 I use a qsc 1850 and the 4000 as the pre I run down to 2 ohms . I also mix in an avatar 2x10 and go 6x10 and 2x12 . gives flexablity depending on the gig . a new qscv can be had for 499 new . Just an option

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

considering the Hartke 4000 is 400watts @ 4 ohm , yeah , i'd probably
    get a higher powered head for that particular Avatar combination...right now they are only getting about 200watts per each cabinet .

i'm currenty running Avatar CB115H and CB112H with a Ampeg SVP-PRO pre-amp , QSC RMX2450 power amp combination . the QSC has more than enough power to push these cabinets { rated at 600watts @ 8 ohm each } .

that said , i still love my Hartke HA4000 into one of my Avatar cabinets at a time ... but , i also love the sound of my SVP-PRO...it's nice to have options :D

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well I thought I had a problem with it the other day...after playing hard and loud, (metal). The protect circuit/light kept coming on/off for a minute. I called about it at a shop and they siad simply playing to hard and loud for what I have. Last night at practice I fiddled with the eq and turned the volume down a lil...no problem..gee whiz. Still...I wouldn't mind the comfort zone of the higher wattage.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    i'm currenty running Avatar CB115H and CB112H with a Ampeg SVP-PRO pre-amp , QSC RMX2450 power amp combination . the QSC has more than enough power to push these cabinets { rated at 600watts @ 8 ohm each } .

that said , i still love my Hartke HA4000 into one of my Avatar cabinets at a time ... but , i also love the sound of my SVP-PRO...it's nice to have options

OK...two people mention the pre/power thing...I was trying to read up on this option last night. What are differences in just getting a head? Advantages? Disadvantages? Also how would I hook up the power amp to the 4000, using it as a preamp? Would I still be able to use the power the 4000 supplies to say maybe a future 115 or 212 from Avatar??? Sorry for the questions...I'm justa learnin all this here stuff.

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    BTW...how do you do multiple quotes in one reply...I see my attempt failed.