Ampeg B-15N + Eminence Delta 15A Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turbocharbo, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Hey guys

I changed the speaker of my Ampeg B-15N a few months ago and it recently started to rattle pretty bad. It was working fine for a few months until now. The issue is that now that the driver is worked in and looser, it rattles against the bar that crosses the middle of the baffle hole. Seems like the speaker foam seal that touches the baffle is too thin to keep the cone from hitting the baffle. I confirmed this by loosening the speaker, playing a note and then gently pushing the speaker into place. The noise is only present when I push the speaker in place. I put the speaker that came with the cab (Realistic 40-1318) that has thicker foam seal and now the issue is gone.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? If so, how do I fix it? I really like the 15A and would like to keep on using it.

Thanks!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If the noise goes away with the other speaker with the thicker gasket it seems like the obvious thing to try is adding a thicker gasket to the mounting area of the speaker and see if it clears up the problem.

I didn’t have this issue with my double baffle cabs, but never tried a speaker swap in the single baffle when I had it. Doubt the baffle construction is the issue.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

A Realistic driver doesn’t belong in the same country as a B15 let alone in it’s speaker cabinet! :rollno:

What you could do is make a shim out of a piece of 14” ply. Cut it as large as the frame of the driver, cut a suitably sized hole in the centre and drill holes for the mounting studs. Fit it in place between the driver and the baffle. That will give the cone more clearance.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    AstroSonic and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Does anyone know where I can order thicker speaker gaskets for the 15A?

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You can search around but something like this may work to try and see if adding some padding will help. or even just some weather striping. The ones in the link also mention adhesive, I think eminence speakers I've gotten in the past came with extra gasket material with an adhesive back, though it may have been on speakers meant for rear mounting.

Speaker Gasket For Speaker Repair, Round, 15", Black Paper, GAS-15

Turbocharbo and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    If it is a double baffle cabinet, check that there isn’t anything such as the grille cloth covering any of the ports.

The speaker should not be over tightened. It must be tightened down evenly at each fastener. Go from one side to the opposite when tightening. Start with finger tight all around, then tighten one turn, then half turn more at a time. You don’t need a lot. Too tight and you can warp the speaker frame. Make sure that it lies flat on a table.

There are re-cone kits for the Delta 15A. You should be able to buy an exact replacement gasket. Contact eminence. Otherwise generic ones are available as Corey has shown.

Turbocharbo likes this.
  7. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I have some leftover Pelican foam that I'll try to cut up and use. If that doesn't work then I'll source out some replacement gaskets.