1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-15n Head w/non-Ampeg Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chico Ruger, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    I have a chance to pick up a recently serviced B-15n head w/o the cab. I have a Peavey VB-115 cab (Black Widow). Is this a reasonable pairing?

2. If the Peavey is 8Ω yes. You'll have to fabricate a suitable adapter to take care of the requirements of the 4 pin XLR.

3. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Yes, 8 ohms. Thanks.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  5. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
  7. Yes if the service performed left the amp original. The speaker cable is four core. One pair carries the audio signal for the speaker and the second pair completes the ground connection for the power supply allowing it to operate.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
  9. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Appreciate both responses regarding adapters.

10. Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Opinions as to how the head will sound with the Peavey cab vs the Ampeg cab?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hard to say but I'm betting if you like the sound of your cab with other amps, you will love it with a B-15.

Mosfed likes this.
  12. sjrash

sjrash

Nov 30, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I just bought a B-15N that has a black widow in the cabinet as a replacement. This is the only speaker I have heard with this amp. I can tell you first hand, I am able to dial in a decent sound. It has great range and a very modern sound. For my personal taste, I am seeking the CTS that would have been the original driver. I prefer more midrange and lower frequencies and the black widow seems to be a bit bright for me. Just my 2 cents. Get that adapter and let your ears be the judge!

13. JimmyM might beat me to the punch, but he has said before that the eminence Delta and Beta 15's are reputed to sound very similar.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I did beat you to the punch ;) And while the Delta 15a sounds exactly like the 60's CTS's in B-15's, the 70's CTS's for B-15's sound darker and the Delta 15a didn't work as well in the one I had. Came across as having a noticeable mid scoop.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  15. There it is! I've just been going through information on the B-15 for a summer project (it's going to be posted on TB when it's done), and your name comes up a LOT.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    As is only right ;) But seriously, I'm by far not the world's leading expert on B-15's, but I do love them.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I do not think you could go wrong with a B15n and a tin can on a string for a speaker. We have all heard of what Leo Fender and his precision bass did to music. The B15n is the amp that made it a viable musical instrument. And it is still great.

18. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It will sound so awful, you should save yourself the anguish and just forward all that non-matching gear to me for disposal....;)

19. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Businessman Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    I've been using a B15N preamp through a ported 15" and it sounds great. Your setup should sound great.

20. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I have a B-15N but had an adapter cable made so I could use other cabinets. Have played it through Bag End 15" and Mesa 12" and it sounds great. It doesn't sound the same as through the original B-15 speaker bottom. Each cab sounds different as you would expect.

sjrash likes this.