1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B15-t opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bofink, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Bofink

Bofink

Dec 28, 2013
    Finland
    So I'm in the market for a first and affordable amp head.

I found this one head that caught my attention, an Ampeg B15-t, 100W 4Ohm, from the 90's made in USA

Is it any good? How loud is it compared to a modern 300W+ bass head like Hartke? And most importantly, does it sound goood? :)

Is 150€ a good price for the head?

Head.
    Picture from rexbass.com

2. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    I'd like to see some new amps from ampeg go in this direction

3. BloozBass

BloozBass

Oct 29, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I absolutely love mine. I've had it for about 8 or 9 years, and it gets a pretty good amount of play. The reason it wasn't a big success at the time, from what I've read, is that it didn't sound like the original B-15. That much is true - it's a totally different sound. Each of the tone controls pulls out to boost the range it controls. I can't speak as to price - there was one on Ebay a little while ago (may still be there) for $350 with the optional EV speaker. Mine has the regular Ampeg speaker from Eminence, and I paid $200 for it on an Ebay auction. I built a head box for mine so I could use it with a different (4 x 10) speaker, and could use the speaker cabinet with a different head. If all you're getting is the head, 150 euros sounds a little high to me - something over $200 here. If it's the whole thing - amp and cabinet - I'd leap on it with both feet!

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Don't know how good this model is, but a 100w SS amp is not a particularly loud one. If you are referring to the Hartke class-a/b hybrids, then sonically, they are more than capable of running with the best of them!

Just be aware that used Hartke amps often need new mains capacitors (not a difficult job for those who can solder).

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I bought one of these when they first came out, and liked it. I mean, it's not the same as a 300W amp, but it was loud enough to play bars. Good clean tone, and storage room inside the cab. Pop some removable casters on it, and you are good to go. I sold mine when I needed a bigger system, and got a really good deal.

Blooz is right. People bought them thinking they were getting the B-15 sound, which it aint. But it is a good amp.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It's a good sounding amp. The only issue is that parts are difficult to get. If the amp developed a problem, fixing it might cost more than it is worth.

7. Bofink

Bofink

Dec 28, 2013
    Finland
    For me, 150€ sounded pretty cheap, but because it's a USA model it uses 110V, which means that I'd have to buy a converter to 230V that would cost me an extra 50, which wouldn't be really worth it :/

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those step up and down transformers are a PITA. I would not want to be married to one. And I don't know if they had switched to universal power transformers by then or not, as that's quite an early amp in SLM's ownership. They can be rewired to run at whatever voltage, but only if they're made to rewire, otherwise you have to replace it, which would be a deal breaker for me.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Never had to deal with overseas issues, but had the amp for about 4 years playing smoky bars, and it kept up with the band and never gave me an issue.