1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg b2re noise issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jckmcgrth, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jckmcgrth

jckmcgrth

Mar 1, 2008
    Californaia
    I've had an Ampeg b2re head for a while now. i play it with a galien krueger backline 210 cab and behringer 115 cab (supposedly 600 watts).

I use a speakon to 1/4" cable for the amp to behringer and standard 1/4" to 1/4" inch for the 210.

i love the sound i get out of this amp combo BUT my main gripes are the volume and the annoying buzz.

The amp should be getting 450 watts but it certainly doesnt sound like that. i have to have the master more then 3/4 of the way with almost 1/2 gain to get a good band practice volume. And with the gain that high the buzz is terrible. its not a fuzzy buzz its just that buzz you get from some bass amps you know? i've tried pretty much every setting on my amp to try to get rid of it but it just never goes way.

my question is, do you think it's the speakers causing this? mostly im asking this because of the behringer because the GK ran with almost no buzz out a gk BL amp with a 115 gk cab.

If its the behringer then i can just replace my blown gk 115.

any other ideas to what it could be?

2. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    " BUT my main gripes are the volume and the annoying buzz.

The amp should be getting 450 watts but it certainly doesnt sound like that. i have to have the master more then 3/4 of the way with almost 1/2 gain to get a good band practice volume. And with the gain that high the buzz is terrible. its not a fuzzy buzz its just that buzz you get from some bass amps you know? i've tried pretty much every setting on my amp to try to get rid of it but it just never goes way."

the main reason i got a new amp.
    still trying to sell that thing, it just doesnt have enough power for me.

i bought an aguilar DB 359 in its place
    tubes are a sure fire way of getting power, thickness and volume.

the buzzing could very well be from the amp, or possibly from your EQ settings. if you have your highs or lows boosted way up it could be contributing to your buzzing.

honestly, i dont want to bash ampeg cuz they do make some good amps, they just arent for me.
    there definitely are better amps out there than the 2BRE.
    i grew out of it in less than 6 months

thats just my opinion though haha

3. jckmcgrth

jckmcgrth

Mar 1, 2008
    Californaia
    oh and im using it with a mexican jazz bass.

im thinking maybe the stock pickups are the problem?

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Jazz pickups will hum but it shouldn't be that bad.

The B2RE is considered my many to be one of the worst 2 or 3 heads Ampeg has every made. I had one for 2 years and it worked great, so to each their own. It isn't very loud for 450W though.

Anyways, try the cabs seperately and if that doesn't help, take it to a local guitar store and try it with a couple of new cabs.

5. Try dime-ing the master and gain to taste.

6. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I also use the Ampeg B2re with a MIM Jazz. The fact that you are getting so much buzz from half gain is not normal. I run my head into an 8 ohm Ashdown 410MAG cab. I set the gain to about 2 o'clock and the master at 3 and it it plenty loud for practice with no buzz and I'm only running 8 ohms.

Soon I'm going to upgrade to an Avatar 410 (4 ohm) so I'm assuming that if I run my amp at the same settings through this cab then it will be plenty more then loud enough, seeings how its already loud enough. I know I'm not really much help for your problem, but I'm just letting you know I have the same head and don't have the problems your having, maybe you could try a some cabs with your head or try some new settings :\

7. jckmcgrth

jckmcgrth

Mar 1, 2008
    Californaia
    all right thanks for the help ill try some different cabs and see what goes down

8. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007

YES!!! Our scenarios are very close. I got a B2re, ran it thru a hartke 4x10 and a backline 2x10 cabinet. It just plain died. Sent back to musicians friend for refund.

SECOND TRY - I thought it was a fluke, so I bought a new B2RE from GC. Same thing... worked GREAT for one weekend of shows, using a 4x10 and a 1x15 amp. THEN the next weekend, I ran it thru the 2x10 and 4x10, and yes, trouble returned.

Second time, it worked on and off. Big buzz out of nowhere. would sound superb for 5 minutes, then that buzz like a vomiting horsefly, then silence. Hit it, and it plays okay for a few min again. VERY frustrating.

it's a common prob with the B2re. I sent it back (sitll under warranty) and they fixed it. Played perfectly for 2 night shows and a week in my studio, but fingers sitll crossed.

They're fragile. Even though that backline is rated properly, it blew mine up twice NO WAY would I connect it again.

Good luck with it. PM me with any specifics. it's been a 2 year nightmare with that amp, but it sounds good when it works.

9. try turning the master volume up all the way and using the gain as your volume control.

My B2R was really weak until i tried this, now it's fine. Short of the pathetic cabs I'm playing through.

Good luck,

Dave.

10. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Man, I've had my b2re for over a year and not a single problem :eyebrow:

*knock on wood*

11. DickyRich

DickyRich

Oct 5, 2009
    Same problem here....Purchased new ($579) in April of 08 six months later buzz, fizz, screech!!!! Took it back to SamAsh and they replaced it with the floor model which worked fine for about 9 months but the problem is back again. Took it to the repair shop and they told me 3 to 4 weeks!!!!!!! According to repair shop "Loud" never has parts. Just purchased a "Bugera Ultrabass BVP5500" as a backup until the the Ampeg B2RE is repaired. Once the Ampeg is repaired....I'm going to sell it. Willing to give Ampeg another chance but not the B2RE.

12. DickyRich

DickyRich

Oct 5, 2009
    What did they say was the problem???

:hyper:

13. tom71lynch

tom71lynch

Feb 18, 2008
    I do the same with my B2R. Works great running 2 cabs with no wierd noises . I had a chance a buy a b2re ,maybe im glad i didnt?