1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B2RE?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Apr 4, 2009.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I was recently offered an Ampeg B2RE 450watt head for $200. I have no experience with this product, so I did some research and the reviews were very mixed. So I would really like some advice for this product from anyone who has it or has used it. I am planing on using it with my old Fender Bassman 4x10. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

2. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I had the B1-RE for a while, I liked it's sound alot, I just disliked it's small power. If the B2-RE sounds the same as the B1-RE and just has more power, than for $200, you should snatch it asap. Iirc, a new one costs around $600.

It's the poor-man's Ampeg.

-EDIT: p.s., I don't know anything about it's durability, I've had it for a short time. Worked fine...

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Check and see where (and when) it was made. If it says made by SLM in the USA, grab it. That's a great price. If it has these letters, ODUL, perhaps not in that order, be very careful.

4. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    The USA models were made very well. I play through a B2R that I bought used in 2003 and its never let me down. Volume sound wise it is what it is a soild state amp that said its been a good amp I've had no issues with it whatsoever.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Although I don't think much of those amps, that's a pretty good price for one - even if you find it isn't for you, you'll easily get your money back, and maybe even a little profit...

I'd say go for it...

- georgestrings

6. B4snrise

B4snrise

Nov 26, 2007
    Earth
    I had a Made In USA Ampeg B2RE I used every day 5+ days a week for 4 hours a shot for gigs, at home practice and band rehearsals during a 7 month span without fail. My B2RE went with me everywhere my bass went across the land never letting me down - ever. From 100 degree outdoor gigs to freezing our tails off, it always worked perfectly. The B2RE is the perfect mix of the old Ampeg sound that made them famous, rock solid reliability and solid state ease of use / maintenance / weight.

One amazing thing is my amp always delivered an awesome live sound with plenty of punch to cut through any mix getting rave reviews from sound men and patrons alike. Volume was never an issue and depending on the gig I would bring one (for indoor) or two (for medium size outdoor gigs) cabinets and never had trouble keeping up with the very loud twin guitar assault delivered by my lead and rhythm guitar players or our heavy handed drummer.

We played a mix of rock, southern rock and rockin' blues covers and the only times I ever felt the amp wouldn't have been enough we had professional sound guys running a big stage, light, FOH show for 2000+ people. The sound guys always plugged direct in the built in DI jack on the back which has a pre / post EQ option. Depending on my technique and chosen instrument of destruction, I can get very close to the sound of the original bass player on many of the songs my band covers and not switch gear or use effects all night.

My only complaints are quite minor, I would like to have a tuner mute and tuner out on the amp since it lives in a rack with a tuner and power conditioner.

For maintenance the only thing that has been done to mine is take the top off and blow out the road dust accumulated from live outdoor gigs. The inside is built like a tank and appears to have been designed by someone that used to repair a lot of physically broken amps.

If something happened to mine, I would buy another in a heartbeat without a second thought. :D

7. maverick5.0

maverick5.0

Feb 20, 2009
    thats a super deal !!!! good amp too... you can use it as your primary amp or if you buy a more powerful amp,use the b2re as backup...good luck on the buy...

8. I just bought a B stock fr twice that -

I think it is a no-brainer. If it works.....go for it. If you don't like it - Flip it for $250......for your trouble.