1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg ba115 v2 vs tc electronic bg250 208

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gojiberry22, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    So I've spent the last year or so playing my trusty Hartke hd25 and feel like I've reached the point where I should upgrade. I'm looking to buy used and have found two options that seem to be quite good. I'm thinking of a combo amp for convenience but then again I'm tempted by the versatility of a stack. Maybe a ampeg micro cl stack. Basically I'm looking for an amp that would handle smaller venues and be heard above a the other band members.

An ampeg ba115 v2 and a tc electronic bg250 208. Both for pretty much the identical price.

Does anyone have some tips or tricks to outline the differences between the amps?

For the ampeg I feel like I'm more attracted to the name itself because they're so prevalent among my Favourite bassist. And people talk about the signature "ampeg tone".

The tc electronic seems to be more versatile with the tone print feature, though it seems somewhat gimmicky aswell.

2. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    With the current rebate offer until 11/30, you can get the ba210 for just about the same price as the tc. That would be a no brainer for me

3. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    Unfortunately I don't live in North America, so I don't think the rebate works for me

4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I tried the Ampeg BA210 not too long ago and came away very unimpressed. No brainer for me also, TCE would be my choice.

5. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    rural New Mexico
    The sonic characteristics that each person picks up on are different from person to person, so they will differ somewhat in their evaluation of amp/stack performance. I recently compared these two amps, starting with a flat EQ setting. I found the TCE to be inoffensive: a little soft in note definition, and upper mids a little recessed - clarity and transparency are a bit off. The Ampeg has better note definition, and more harmonic richness. It's much more hifi, though not like the better boutique cabs. The TCE has the tone print feature, but lacks the definition to take full advantage of it. While the Ampeg could be EQ'ed to sound similar to the TCE, the TCE could not be EQ'ed to sound like the Ampeg. I used a Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA with 'new' Sunbeams. I could see that both had a quite usable tone and that either could be favored depending on personal preferences.

6. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    I've found the Tce as a 210 for about 20-30% more and I'm quite tempted by it, the 2x8 version seems rather petite and only has the option for a single tone print at a time. Although then again it's the only version that allows the use of an extension cab...

7. I tried the BG250-208 for a few weeks, and while it was interesting, I didn't find it to be fully capable of what I would ask of it as a standalone amp. With one band, it was fine. The volume control was pushed farther than I'm psychologically conditioned to be comfortable with, but the amp didn't complain. With a second band/different drummer, it worked but felt strained and outmatched.

That said, I didn't try it with an extension cabinet, and I recognized that we can all have different specific needs. In my thinking, if a combo needs an extension cabinet, and as soon one is connected, it becomes a gigantic head...would I buy a BH250 if it were the size of the BG250-208? I would not.

Anyway, I also demoed the BG250-210, and had an opportunity to do an A-B comparison with my 115. I had the 115 for a bit less than 2 years as my rehearsal and sometimes gig amp. I found the sound of the 210 preferable. It doesn't speak to the 208 or the Ampeg, but here's a video I made and have posted a few times...

For my expectation that a combo be able to run as a standalone and on capability alone, I'd personally go with either the Ampeg 210 (which I tried in a music store and liked) or TCE 210 before the 208. Good luck with it.

Gojiberry22 and HaphAsSard like this.
  8. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    This is extremely helpfull thank you!