1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG BA115HP ***???? Distorting?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ChrisPatterson, May 31, 2012.

1. So I just purchased an Ampeg BA115HP (single 15") on Monday...had my first rehearsal with the band last night and found that the amp is distorting at loud volumes. No distortion at low volumes. If anyone has had any experience with this combo, Id love to hear about it. I got 30 days to take it back and get something else.

2. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Please describe your amp settings, active or passive bass, and if you are using any effects.

3. Gain is about 5, master volume is about 8, Bass is about 7, mids at 5 Treble is 5, I keep the Style selector on 1 or 2. I do use a ZOOM B2 pedal but even without it I still get some distortion at loud volume. I play a Fender Precision (passive). Maybe Im just pushing it too hard?

4. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    mine distorted around that setting too. i returned mine and bought an acoustic b200. the ba115 is not a very loud amp. depending on how you play you might be pushing it too hard.

5. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    You may be pushing it to hard.
    Turn the master all the way up and bring the gain to where you need it. Should be cleaner.

6. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    Not enough volume with that amp. I had one and it just doesn't do it in a band setting. Sold it. Add to that it is f'in heavy.

I second the Acoustic suggestion. I've tried one of those out. Seemed to be a good bit more volume plus they pump out more mid range which I think sounds better in a band setting.

GK has some great little combos for the price to take a look at as well.

7. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Nothing wrong with your amp, it is just a tad to small for cutting it in a rock band.
    Any way, does it distort on low or high notes? With you settings you boost the lows quite much and either the amp will distort or the speaker will fart at high volume.
    Put it on position 3-5 and cut the low a bit, it will manage better then.

8. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have one I bought used and cheap for rehearsal and it is definitely underpowered.
    If I had a loud drummer or gui****, I would be selling it. There is a great review on this site that I should have read prior.

I love the Ampeg sound but most of the time, you pay a little extra for the reputation.

9. william curl

william curl

Feb 13, 2012
    Mt Vernon Ga
    i have one just for practice around the house its fine but in aband setting it dont have volume i want.im thinking of finding something different not sure what .

10. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I had one and had to get rid of it for the same reason. VERY under-capable amp for the price range and the weight. I've used small combos as my primary amps for years and that Ampeg is the single biggest disappointment of the bunch.

11. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    This Ampeg is damn cheap for what you get. It is just that many think it is a SVT jr. For a 100w combo it is quite fine. Buy something bigger if you want more db. You will also have to pay more, maybe at least 2x more to be sure it will cope with a drummer etc.

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    HP is rated at 220 watts, which is why it is such a disappointment.

13. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Ok, it is the 220w version... I thought it was the usual BA115 which is 100w. Here in Norway the BA115 100W is a real good deal. The BA115HP version with claimed 220W seem like a "bad" investment. It cost much more then the regular version but with 1x15W no way it will be much loader then the 100W version. better then to buy the Ampeg Micro CL or even better the Micro VR then the BA115HP....

14. You might able to get a cleaner sound and get more volume if you turn down the BASS and raise the MIDS. The bass freq sucks up a lot of power.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well whether 100w or 220w (not enough wattage difference to make a significant volume increase BTW though it does give you more headroom), of course it's going to distort at those settings. That's cranking it very hard. Just because the knobs go to 10 doesn't mean that you're going to have clean tone all the way up to 10. You're just trying to get more out of it than it's designed to put out.

16. Thanks for everything guys...gonna take it back and try the Acoustic.

17. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    The amp is not too small, everyone else is too loud.

DeepThoughts likes this.
  18. i play in a pop/rock/alternative band, and i use a ba115hp. it was bought second hand, in mint condition. i love it. i regularly gig at a big club in my hometown. the sound guy has complimented twice, at two different gigs. once for having a good tone and stage volume, and again for being impressed that the amp has a built in tuner. i rehearse, gig, and record with this amp. i have never had an issue with volume at rehearsal or gigs, and my tone on the recordings ive done is excellent. i always just sit the amp on the floor (on its casters), i never use a stand, or anything. i always hear myself fine. i use p basses, both single coil, and split coil, as well as a jazz. all passive. i just did an acoustic gig last week with no drummer. i used my fretless p. had terrific tone, and way too much volume. just played a full electric gig with our drummer three days before that, where we were as loud as we could possibly be. my amp sounded great, on stage and through FOH. i can turn my amp up pretty loud, and i dont start to hear any distortion until i have the volume almost all the way up. at that point its way too loud to be usable anyway. i heard somewhere once that these amps have a preamp tube in them. if they do, that could be your problem. i definitely do not agree with the general consensus that the amp is under powered.

19. exactly.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Depends on the situation - no single 15 is going to cut it in any rock band I play in...

- georgestrings