1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Ampeg DI SCR problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OKIEBASS, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OKIEBASS

OKIEBASS

Jan 16, 2004
    I have a relatively new AMPEG DI SCR pedal that started putting out a high pitch whistle. It didn't matter if the pedal was on or not and as soon as I unplugged it the whistle stopped. I tried different basses and chords but that didn't help. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Suggestions for how to troublehoot or fix it? I love how the pedal sounds when it doesn't whistle :)

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Change the battery. They do that when the battery's about to go.

freedomryder likes this.
  3. OKIEBASS

OKIEBASS

Jan 16, 2004
    Why didn't I think of that??? I'll give it a try tonight, thanks!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Better yet, get a power supply for it. It's a bit of a battery hog.

5. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    This. Love that pedal, it my "always on", but it does eat batteries.

JimmyM likes this.
  6. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    That whistle is awfull it's absurd.
    Imagine you get that at a show, and make bleed everyone ears.

7. That’s why you don’t use batteries :bassist:

Spidey2112 and JimmyM like this.
  8. Gotta chime in here (plus, I've been away for a few months!)- Yes, it will eat batteries like nobody's business. I use a power supply with it and ALMOST all of the pedals on my 'board (13 to 16 of 'em). You just gotta, or the Ampeg-Harpies will start screaming (not good mid-gig!)...

Between it and a Tronographic Rusty Box, those are the only two "preamps" I use (4 tones between 2 pedals? Oh yeah!).

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have used it with a rechargeable battery on a gig no problem, but once it hits the 5 hr mark I change it out. With a regular alkaline you can get about 7.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021