1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Heads...Which one to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Braddock, Jan 16, 2012.

1. SVT-2 Pro

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. SVT-CL

31 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. SVT-4 Pro

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. Braddock

Braddock

Aug 13, 2010
    East Kentucky
    I am finally able to purchase a new amp. I am looking at Ampeg products and have almost settled on the cabinet I am going to buy. As much as I want the SVT-810E I am finding that I would have major problems transporting it, mainly due to it not fitting in my car lol. So I am afraid I have to settle with the SVT-410HLF. So far I am only playing a duet with a grand piano in an auditorium that seats maybe 300 people, but I am afraid of running into a situation where I need more power than the 410 can produce, and definately would not want to risk any harm to the cabinet due to that.

Though I am almost decided on the cabinet, it is the head decision that is getting me at the moment. I am sparing no expense on the head I am buying and only want the best sound and best options and features. I am currently deciding between the SVT-2 Pro, SVT-CL, and the SVT-4 Pro. I am not interested in a fully solid state head. But if anyone would have input from their experiences between the differences in these heads as far as overal sound including characteristics of tone and the features and options of the possibilities in tweaking the tone every little way possible to get the exact sound one could be looking for I would really appreciate it. Any other input would be greatly appreciated as well, perhaps maybe another quality head which could be better than the ones listed, or anything else. Thankyou
    Jason

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT CL and 2 Pro are all tube and define what Ampeg's all about. Not a whole lot of difference between the two sonically in my opinion, but the 2 Pro has a few extras like a drive circuit and a graphic EQ. I don't need them but some folks dig them. The 4 Pro is a hybrid and has more of the tightness you get with solid state, but has a great voicing to it and puts out a lot of power.

Unless you play in a death metal band, you will likely not run out of power with one of these amps and a 410hlf. Certainly with a grand piano it's plenty...ok, it's way overkill, but it's the grandest overkill out there, and you can always turn it down.

3. +1 to jimmy. svt cl or 2 pro. i have the 2 pro, which sounds, as jimmy said, pretty much exactly like the cl, but i really enjoy the graphic eq to help balance everything out with my effects and the drive function is really nice for that little bit of extra grit.

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Out of those, I would get the 2 pro, probably, if you need lots of ways to tweak the sound. It's a big tube head like the CL, but also has a graphic EQ and a drive section, so a few more tonal options.

5. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    Agree with all the above--can't go wrong with any of them. My vote is for the SVT 4Pro only because you don't have to worry about the power tube maintenance and it is a little lighter than the 2 and the CL, plus it is just a great sounding powerful amp with mucho head room.

6. Braddock

Braddock

Aug 13, 2010
    East Kentucky
    Thankyou all for the advice!! It means alot to me, and speaking of tube maintenance, how much money would I be looking at per tube if a need comes to replace them? Also what brand of tubes would be recommended in the Ampeg heads? Does Ampeg have their own brand of tubes that they put in their heads when they sell them or something?

7. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    If one is not going for the CL or the 2pro, then the 7pro is even a lighter choice then the 4pro.

8. & if considering the 4 pro or 7 pro-look at the 410HE cab. It's 8 ohms, so will not work properly with the tube Ampegs, tho 2 of em will :)

9. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    I have a question. I wan to buy an ampeg 410hlf and an SVT 3 por or 4pro.

RMS Power Output: 300-Watts x 2/900 (mono-bridged @ 8 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output: 490-Watts x 2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 600-Watts x 2
    Preamp: Tubes (3 x 12AX7)
    Power Amp: Solid State
    Tone Controls: 3-Band
    Mid Tone Control: 5-Position
    Graphic EQ: Yes, 9-Band
    Ultra Low/High Boosts: Yes
    Balanced Line Out: Yes x 2 Pre/Post with Level
    Effects Loop: Yes x 2
    Preamp Out/Power Amp In: Yes x 2
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 19 x 5.6 x 15.5
    Weight: 39.5 Pounds

In the 4svt pro specifications it's written that i has 490-Watts x 2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms). My question is what will happen when I will plug one 410hlf to it?
    'Cause if i make it bridged it will be 1200watts on 500watt speaker. Can I play on only one cabinet and not bridge it?
    If yes what happen with the other 490 watts? ('cause it's 2x490). Is it a problem or can I just use on cabinet and then plug another one when I'll need it?

Sorry if the technical side of question is inccorect I'm a bit newb in those ohms ect :p

10. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    don't overlook the SVT-VR, also a 300 watt tube head. many folk here prefer it to the CL & the 2pro.

check out theTubeStore to get an idea of what tubes cost. they have Value, Premium & Vintage packages with a variety of prices, you may need to only replace a few at a time when needed. Search the forum to see what other people like, but remember that this isn't something you need to change every year. some folk have tubes last 3, 5, 10 & even 20 years!

but honestly, if you're playing along a grand piano -- all of these amps will be overkill.

11. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    The sVT4 is a stereo amp : it's kind having a pre and 2 power amps separately in one unit, so you can plug 2 x 4 ohms cab, one in each sections... you can bridge them (I don't know the process exactly...) to get more power, but I would not put that much power on a single 410hlf, it would overkill I may try it on an 800 watt kind minimum... or on the pro serie 810 cab which can handle 1200W... Read the manual of the 4 pro on the ampeg site... it's usefull to understand how it works and what you can do...

I use a 610 hlf and a 410 hlf on my 4 pro and don't bridge it and it works well...

12. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    I'm not the one carrying it so CL, if I was carrying it SVT-7 PRO

13. Braddock

Braddock

Aug 13, 2010
    East Kentucky
    It would seem to me that if you plugged an SVT 4 Pro into the SVT-410HLF cabinet that as long as you didn't crank the volume up on it higher than what the cabinet can handle then it should be fine, I am actually thinking about a very large head along with the 410HLF im getting, I guess I am going to be careful exactly how high I do turn the volume up and stay far away from pushing the limits of the cabinet, I don't think it would do any damage that way, but I too will be seeing this for the first time, lol.