1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Micro VR issues poll with new video

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderhutz, May 19, 2011.

1. Have zero issues with clipping or distortion.

44 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Experience the issues with clipping, distortion, or crackle.

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Have tried the head or cabs with other setups and they work fine.

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Have already swapped out gear with Ampeg for a fix and it didn't fix the issue.

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. I have Micro Carrots

49 vote(s)
    37.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. UPDATED WITH VIDEO OF THE ISSUE - YouTube - ‪Ampegissues.MOV‬‏

SECOND UPDATE 6/29/2011
    Update 7/5/2011

Update:

I just got a message from Ampeg support. My modded head is being sent back to me for "testing". I will update with results when I get it. Maybe a new video when I get it :D

UPDATE 7/15/2011

Modded amp seems to work without the snap and crackle. Putting it thorugh the test tonight at a gig.

ORIGINAL THREAD POST

This is question I want to ask because Ampeg is stating they can't replicate the issue many TB'ers are having in the thread below with distortion and crackling coming from this setup: THIS POLL CAN HAVE MULTIPLE RESPONSES.

Here is my thread on this.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/problem-ampeg-micro-vr-2-av210-cabs-766548/

In the set of questions I will provide for those that own the setup I need to know if you are experiencing the distortion/cut out/cracking.

The settings I am using for this are as follows with a passive Fender Jazz bass.

Gain 12:30 Low 1:30-2 Mid 11:30 Treble 11:30-12 Master 12:30-1 with the -15 not engaged and the limiter on.

I am just curious if it's a few TB'ers on here or the majority of the people that own the setup.

Again this ONLY happens with this head and both cabs, the cabs are fine with another head and the head is fine on any other cab.

2. If you ARE NOT having issues will you please post what settings you are running on the head?

3. This is a multiple choice multiple response question.

4. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Fenderhutz, I use a Micro VR with two of the 210 cabinets, and ironically I also use almost the exact amp settings as you. My master may actually be a bit higher, and I don't have the limiter on. Never had a problem with clipping or buzzing, and I'm using G&L basses through it. Hmmm...

5. Seans

Seans

Jul 4, 2008
    Herefordshire, UK
    I have this very set up and too use similar settings to you, limiter off though, I have noticed some curious clipping sounds, I will investigate this further and then vote, one other thing I have noticed is that with two cabs the gain light will flash sooner than with one cab.

6. GaryLC I had to sell the G&L :(

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I don't have two AV cabs, but I have run mine with two cabs without issue. Though I typically only run a 2x15 when using this head. I run the gain around 2-3 o'clock, bass around 2-3, mids 1-2, treble at noon (all adjusted to situational levels), with the master at a room appropriate level.

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I use a Sansamp BDDI in front and use both the -15 pad & the limiter and have no problems.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, I just played around with both of my Micro-VR's and all four SVT-210AV's. If I have both the Gain and the Master up to about 1 o'clock, with a hot bass (MTD, in this case) I could get it to clip/crackle. This was consistent with both heads, driving any two of the cabs. I must say, though, that while I might have hoped to get a tad more gain out of the head, this was pretty darned loud (and certainly a good bit louder than I could get driving just one of the cabs). Still, I did experience what y'all have been talking about.

For kicks, I tried the double SVT-210AV stack with my LMII, a 7Pro, and a PF500 (just came in today!), and you could definitely drive the cabs harder with those heads, so I do feel like it's the Micro-VR that is the source of the clipping/crackle. Please note, however, that all of those heads are at least twice as powerful (rated power) as the Micro-VR. I then used one of the Micro-VR's to drive two Bergantino AE112's. First off, that was a pretty darned nice combination! It really lets you see how much high end that Micro-VR has on tap. These cabs are more efficient, as well, and the overall volume was definitely greater, even with the same Gain/Master settings. I could push the Micro-VR a little harder into the Bergs, but only a little more, and then I started to hear some clippy/peaky kind of sounds (not as bad as what I heard with the SVT-210AV's, but something reminiscent of the head hitting the rails).

So, there's my two cents... :cool:

Tom.

10. I am awaiting a response from Ampeg of when my new head to try will arrive.

11. I got my new head and cabs and unpacked them late last night. I will give some feedback once I get to test them today.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    It was my experience while I had the head and two cabs that the head could be pushed into clip, yes.
    It's solid state, and doesn't clip prettily.
    However, with the two cabs, it was plenty loud for most anything I did with it.

I do believe it's the head, cause I tried the two cabs with both MB F1 and Walkabout, and didn't get that same clippy result.

13. If that is the case my next step if this thing clips and crackles is to ask for a PF350 since they are the same price and other TB'ers haven't had the issue with that head.

It's weird though because I can used that head to power other things at a 4 ohm load cranked it works fine.

I think Bill F. was on to something when he mentioned the sealed cabs and the Q with a solid state head.

I will find out tonight.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, I do think that the impedance curve and nominal load has a lot to do with this.

15. I just tested the new setup they sent me and guess what.

It still doesn't work.

Dang..................Yet another email sent.

16. I want to add tech support has been top notch, and even replacing the entire rig was a great gesture. Loud/Ampeg have some people that care about the product in that support department. Even though I don't have a fix I am sure they will take care of it.

17. I gigged with the rig this past Saturday and the new head they sent me is defective. The -15 switch has static and the gain light stays lit, even with nothing plugged into the jack.

Pulling my hair out (what's left) at this point.

18. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I feel bad, Fender! I haven't had any problems with mine yet, but I feel like selling it just because of your issues!

19. Well I wouldn't jump there. I made a request to Ampeg to swap this out for something else in the ballpark of what I paid for these since I am having these issues. Their support really does care and it's not their fault if it is truly a design issue and then a manufacturing issue with the new head.

They said they wanted to "try" out the setup I just sent them back before deciding what to do. Luckily this is is an off weekend for gigs.

Honestly I asked to swap out both cabs and the head for a PF500 and the 115 Portaflex cab, I would be taking a 100 dollar hit in my pocket for the swap but "hopefully" I could use an amp I can turn the volume up past 12:30-1 o'clock before it starts killing it.

I had some issues with Ampeg in the past over a SVT 3 Pro when they were US made and after my fourth one broke I swore I would never go back. Then I tried out the Micro VR. It is the tone I crave. If I can't get a working setup I will probably walk away again.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Micro VR has been a very solid head for me over the past 6 months, and all amps can break, so I don't think I'd be ditching one on the basis that Hutz had a problem with his out of the box. I do have this problem Hutz is having when I use two 210av's with it, but honestly, it works so well for my needs with just one cab that I'm having a hard time getting too worked up about it, although I certainly don't blame anyone else for doing so.