1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Mono Bridge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whiskeyboy13, Jan 8, 2016.

1. whiskeyboy13

whiskeyboy13

Jan 8, 2016
    I have an Ampeg B4R and I want to mono bridge it. I bought a brand new 4 pole speakon cable but not sure how to rewire to convert to a mono bridge cable. Inside the black outer sleeve there are 4 smaller cables that are black, red, blue, and white. Not sure if this is the correct cable I need or if it's only supposed to be 2 smaller inner cables. This one says NL4FX. Any help would be GREAT appreciated.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You actually need a bridged cable (supplied with the amp). This is a 2 conductor cable with 4 pole speakon connectors. You would have to cut back wires to make your cable work. At the amp end ONLY, cut back the wire on the 2+ position (probably white) and move the wire from the 1- (probably black) to the 2+ position. Label that connector for amp end only. A 4 pole two conductor cable would also need to be labeled, but would only need the 1- wire moved to the 2+.

http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/B4R.PDF

agedhorse likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You need a cable that is connected +1 +2 at the amp end, make sure you mark the connector for the amp as it won’t work the wrong way around. At the other end it need to be wired +1 and -1. So the cable should connect +1 to +1 and +2 to -1.

Be very careful with your volume level as bridging releases one hell of a lot of power. I’ve been using stereo power amps since the Eighties. I’ve never had the need to bridge any of them. i run mine parallel mono, each channel into one cabinet.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021