1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AmorFini1601, May 15, 2011.

1. AmorFini1601

AmorFini1601

May 15, 2011
    I recently picked up an Ampeg PF-500 to use for gigs, I'm running it through an Acoustic 8x10 and into my Schectar Raiden Special 5 string. While I have a pretty decent sound coming out of it, I'm having some problems getting volume from it, I have the gain at about 11 o clock, and the volume at around 12 and its just loud enough to play a gig, I expected a lot more power from. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get more volume, while keeping a tone that cuts through the mix.

Also if anyone knows how to get the sound that David Darocha got on the new Born of Osiris album, some tips would be appreciated, I know they recorded with axe-fx, but im not sure if he just boosted his mids or if its just his patch.

Thanks for the help.

2. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I've never used the PF500, but I've played and owned Ampegs for years and years.
    Sounds like you have the gain waaaaaaay tooooooo low.
    I run mine around 3:00 on my B100-R and my SVT III PRO. You have to crank the input gain on Ampegs, and the owners manual will tell you so. If there is a red light it should be flickering while you play.

3. AmorFini1601

AmorFini1601

May 15, 2011
    Isn't peaking the amp generally bad for it though?
    I've never owned an Ampeg before though, so I'll be more than happy to give it a shot.

4. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Not on Ampeg, you have to push the input gain, don't be afraid! My III-PRO is 16 years old never failed, heavily giged rehearsed etc., the input gain is never lower than 3:00 and I have a hot bass with an 18v preamp. IT should say in the owners manual to crank it until the red light flickers, it says so on both my owners manuals.

5. rewopnayr

rewopnayr

Apr 26, 2007
    marion
    try not using the pad button and boosting your gain a lil bit more. hope this helps :)

6. AmorFini1601

AmorFini1601

May 15, 2011
    Alright thanks a lot for your help man. I read over the owners manual several times, I may have just misread.

If I don't necessarily want the overdriven sound, should I boost the compression?

7. AmorFini1601

AmorFini1601

May 15, 2011
    Yeah, I have the pad off, thanks though.

I'm just glad to get feedback.

8. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Max gain + volume to taste.
    Lord, I miss my SVT :(

9. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Compression will lower your top end volume but make you overall level more even.
    Compressors can be finicky, don't use too much start with, either none or just a small amount and adjust from there

10. AmorFini1601

AmorFini1601

May 15, 2011
    ^ Yeah thats basically exactly what the manual says.

Does anyone know how to answer my other question?
    Also if anyone knows how to get the sound that David Darocha got on the new Born of Osiris album, some tips would be appreciated, I know they recorded with axe-fx, but im not sure if he just boosted his mids or if its just his patch.

11. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Just listened to some snippets from The Discovery.
    All I could hear was kick drum. Seriously.
    I'm pretty sure the bassist's "tone" = new string zing.

12. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have a PF500 and, like others have posted on the big PF500 thread, there's a ton of loud after 12:00 on the Master Volume. I use my compression on about 12, Gain about 1 for the sound I like, then I control the volume with the Master. I know it is a bit disconcerting to turn the Master Volume up so high -- on other amps I don't ever turn volume knobs up past 12. But with the PF500 the volume is pretty low till noon, then starts getting REAL loud, but it's good, clean loud (if that's how you set your gain). Get it up to about 3 and you'll see what I mean. And there's plenty more after that!.

13. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    How does that pf500 and acoustic 810 sound now you have experimented with the gain?