1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg pf500 enough for a 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bring the noise, May 18, 2011.

1. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    I would like to know if any one has any experience with this combination. It seems that 500 watts rms into 4 ohm would push it really well. I don't need stupid loud, but I want pretty damn loud.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    considering that the tube svt is only 300w rms, a 500w rms head will push it fine.

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1.

500w used to be considered over-the-top-overkill many watts. :)

4. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    300w tube =/= 300w solid state.

In my experience at least... but yeah. you'll crush faces with that pf500.

5. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    I mean... I plugged my v2 into an 8x10 and it was almost too much.

6. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Sweet. Seems to be a a great affordable head. I saw one at gc and it looks great, but I didn't get a chance to play it. I did play though the svt 7 pro through a 410 hlf and really liked it.

7. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I've used my svt 3-pro into an 8x10 and it was pretty loud (450 watts compared to the 500 that you would use).

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Which 8x10? If it's an older one you actually risk overpowering a single 8x10
    The original Ampeg SVT's were built with the idea of using 2 of the 8x10's
    svt_dblstack_grey.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, the oldest 810's, which is what i have, were rated at 250w. however, i think they do a little better than that, and ampeg may have been a little gunshy back then because they were afraid to say they could do better. but they don't do much better than that.

up till the mid-90's, though, they increased power handling to 400w. after that, they made them so they could easily do 800w real world. so unless your cab is older than mid-90's, 500w is fine. and even if it's older, 500w will still be fine if you watch yourself.

10. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    I would be getting one of the new 810e. I am thinking of a pf500,810e, and a vt pedal as my rig. I think it could be a killer rig.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I ran mine on an SVT-215E cab and it was more than loud enough, so I'm sure it will work equally well on an 810

12. Purgathor

Purgathor

May 23, 2011
    Norway
    Hi there! I bought the PF-500 for backup use on my ampeg 8x10 cabinet, but it turned out to be a great amp with plenty enough power. You can pretty much play as loud as you want with it ;)
    I love the sound of it, and now I prefer this head instead if my all-tube gead.

13. Just purchased a PF-500 and am running it into my SVT-8x10 AV. Gorgeous sound. And my word that thing can get loud. 4 ohms. 500w. $399. Ampeg you tease! Loving it!