1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steveo33, Jun 25, 2018.

1. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Then 2 or 3 years later the new board takes a dump. Same rabbit hole

2. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks, I appreciate that.

There is always a risk of an equipment breakdown. Components don't last forever. However, the problem that myself and many other's have experienced with the PF500 is related to an inherent problem created by the design of the circuit itself (or at least that is my understanding), not with build quality or components used in the unit.

It is still a massive oversight from Ampeg to allow the circuit go into production with such a problem and allow it to be produced for so long and offer zero compensation for fixing it. I'm fuming the more and more I think about it - it's basically just the lack of Ampeg support that gets me. Still like the amp though, when it works.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I'd be mad too. Amps shutting down on stage or practice is annoying. People want light small amps. Unfortunately small cases lead to heat problems. And light weight technology has its ups and downs.

Much like TVs or Computers you get your 3 to 6 years and when they die you either replace the boards or get a new one. Then the next 3 to 6 years starts over.

It's not something I care for. But meeting price points and convenience and mass production has its trade offs. And agreed I don't like it one bit at all.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    FIFY. Those production problems have been history for five years or more.

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Agreed. is there a way all the kind TB'ers with connections could help our TB'er out getting a replacement board, and NOT for the full price? As a matter of fact, if I knew what to look for, I'd start to help looking, and I live in Alaska!
    @MothBox what is the name and part number of the board you're looking for?

6. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks mate. I'm over in Australia which adds another cost to getting one of these replacement boards!

It's the mainboard I'm looking for. "2034544-01 PCB ASSY MAIN BOARD PF500" is the name I have been given by the local distributor, who doesn't have them in stock. I'm not sure if the serial numbers change for the different revisions but I think the latest is J02 or J03.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't suppose Full Compass will ship to Aus?

Ampeg 2034544 01 Main PCB for PF 500 | Full Compass

Under the circumstances with the sale, they might just go ahead and do it if you email them about it.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
  9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Here's another one...
    MAIN BOARD FOR PF500 - AMPEG

10. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks for your help guys.

I didn't have a chance to test out the minimax tonight so played through the ampeg, brought the gain right down and dialled in some limiter with success. However, it has limited the overall volume.

I brought the head home and opened it. The preamp board is rev. D01 and the mainboard is rev. J03. I’m surprised because I thought this version had the problem fixed…. which means that it may be something else.

Do you guys know in which version of the mainboard the issues were fixed? I may have to go through a trial and error to see if there is something in particular which triggers it the fault.

The plot thickens!

11. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    I got a reply back from Yamaha:
    I plan to go through and try and problem solve if there are any particular situations which are triggering this, however, the original email I received from Loud was:
    It may just be that Yamaha are picking up on all of the details. If J03 is the latest board then I can rule out my initial assumptions that it was related to the problems with the older circuit.

12. steveo33

steveo33

Nov 11, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Is there a resource from Ampeg to tell when the amp was built from the serial number? I’m betting mine is in that window

13. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Support are able to provide that information. Open your amp up. The boards are stamped with the model number.

However, if the boards were fixed late 2013 / early 2014, does that just mean that it effected up until late 2014 because they continued to use the stock of old boards?!

14. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I have two PF-500's and have had them since 2011. No issues to date.