1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RC52, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    My second playing situation using my new PF500- Friggin Love This Amp!!!!!

Played it thru my friends 1 15" Peavey cab , great, phat , focused sound!

My quest, when I get a job is to sell all my current cabs and get 2 PF115HE cabs! :). :). :). !

2. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I got one for Christmas. Definitely a great amp.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Yep, it's a great amp! I have the PF350 and one PF115. In the process of getting a second PF115 to complete the rig. Might have to get a PF500 down the road as well.

4. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Ps I played my Squier Classic Vibe Jazz thru the Ampeg- holy crap, man- this set up ROCKS!!!!!

5. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I wish they made a PF500 w exactly the same front as the 350...which I have. I cant figure out the compression and stuff. Bass mid and treble is all it needs

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1. Exactly why I picked the PF-350 over the PF-500.

7. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    It's pretty easy , I have rarely used the compressor, usually only at high volume levels, it seems to add a bit of a percussive attack set at about 9:30.

The mid eq is great for eq ing different rooms with different acoustics . I tend to set it on 3 , and at noon, to start and adjust according to what I hear. Very EZ !

8. Yes, leave the comp alone unless you feel the urge to try. It works nicely. It'll cut your volume a li'l as you turn the comp up, but just adjust as necessary.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The mid selector is easy enough to figure out...find a frequency you like with the selector, then boost or cut them to your tastes ;) The comp...eh, it works pretty well but you really don't need it.

10. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    +1 to what Jimmy posted!

11. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Yeah, that's my setup too. It sounds so good I nearly sharted myself last practice session.

12. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Got a used one for $280 - I use it as a backup. I used it at one gig just to test it and it seemed pretty nice.

13. Felpsy

Felpsy

Mar 2, 2009
    England
    I'm strongly considering grabbing myself the pf500 as an upgrade to my hartke LH500. I'm unable to try before I buy so would that be a decent upgrade?
    I'm using a VT bass pedal with the hartke to get a nice driven grindy tone anyway so would the pf500 be a good addition to get that sweeeet ampeg tone?

14. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I have been playing bass for two years, I have owned the following amps;

Marshall MB4210
    GK MB210
    GKMB212
    TC BH500
    Ampeg PF500

The PF500 is the best because it has the most natural and warm tone IME and is the easiest to get what I want, it does not have the features of the BH500 but it does its job perfectly and in a much more simple way .
    It is small and very solidly built, I can see and hear why it is so popular-great amp :)

15. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I moved from the Hartke 3500 to the PF500 and I love it. Totally different tone. Definitely an upgrade in my opinion.

16. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    I've got a PF500 and love it. Run it through a BFM Jack 112 with an ART Tube MP Project pre-amp blended in with the effects loop blend knob. Very nice. My first Ampeg.